We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Sim-card with data

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid Sim-card with data

Hello all.

I'll be travelling around the PI the last 2 weeks of February and would like to have some mobile communications.

I have an unlocked Motorola smart phone from FIDO (Canada).

I'll be spending some time in Manila, but will also be in Nueva Ecija and also several days in Palawan.

Based on previous posts about this topic, it looks like Globe Telecom. is the one to go with? I've heard they have kiosks at the airport where I can purchase a prepaid micro sim.

Any other advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

To me micro-sim is hard to find. Airport Kiosk may not have it and you may need to purchase them at those major shopping malls. Also they may not have it and you will have to settle for a regular SIM.

Even then, you will need to bring back to GLOBE to trim it for you.

This is what happen to me when I try to buy a micro-sim from SMART.

Of course your experience may be different.

Manila, Philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

You can purchase a Smart sim on Ebay with a basic load and then know your phone number before arrival and be able to add sufficient load to cover data plan, which is available by the day, week or month. When you have sufficient load you simply send a text message to subscribe to data. I signed up for data and got confirmation while taxiing to the gate at Manila Airport. Be sure roaming is off on arrival. For more info: www1.smart.com.ph/Prepaid/offers/data/page/3/

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

OK thanks for the advice.

I'll look into obtaining a micro-sim PRIOR to arriving in the Philippines.

Manila, Philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

That was my suggestion to buy from EBay before departing. www.ebay.ca in your case. There are several sims to choose from I just visited the site. Be sure the sim has roaming off and that you have sufficient load for your data plan upon arrival. Do a search like "Smart sim" and you will find what you need. Be sure sim is the right size or cut if needed. I live in the US and have residency Visa in the Philippines and have done this 4 times in past three years with no problem. Good luck

manila
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

Where will you be in Manila? Availability of prepaid microsim from Smart or Globe will be dependent on your area. I find that the areas with the least demand (Ali Mall in Cubao for Globe) seem to be the easiest place to pick one up. Otherwise, you can purchase a sim card at any store and have them cut it for you. Most economical if you do it on arrival, but if you are short of time or do not know the lay of the land (so to speak) your options are to get a sim at the airport on arrival or in Canada (I'll do the former, though).

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

Micro Sims are not hard to find. There are thousands of Loading Stations who will only sell you loads and standard Sims but there are hundreds of dealers who will also have a stock of Micro Sims.

Just go to any market of mall and ask who has Micro Sims. You will easily find a dealer.

Globe Micro Sims are P100.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

If you will spend at least 24 hours in Manila then I would go with the suggestion of FSP01 as it is not that hard to find a micro-SIM and many mobile phone shops in malls could even cut a regular SIM for you. If you see a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone on display then most likely they are also selling micro-SIM.

Anyway, when I arrived at Terminal 1 a week ago I noticed that there's a kiosk near the baggage conveyor offering regular and micro-SIM.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Since I probably won't be spending a lot of time in Manila initially, I'll probably try to get a sim-card shipped to me here in Canada. That way all I have to do is load it up with what I need rather than running around town looking for cell shops.

I'm assuming Smart coverage will be adequate in Nueva Ecija and Palawan?

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

Get globe or sun rather than smart. Smart have a reputation for stealing your load. It happened to me may times and I will never use smart again.

They have an appeals procedure to get back lost loads but it is impossible to comply with the rules and I never met anyone who got a refund.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid Sim-card with data

By the way, I know there are many Filipino stores there in Vancouver. Filipino stores in Chicago and Los Angeles sell Globe and Smart SIM cards so I assume the same in Vancouver.