We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Seattle, Washington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

So, I'm traveling to the Philippines in late November with my wife, a 17 mo old toddler, and in-laws who are in their early 70's but youthful and active. It will be their first time. I'd like to take them to Banaue then to Vigan and back to Manila--all in 5-6 days.

My questions:

1) Is 5-6 days a fast-paced itinerary but do-able for that amount of time? What's the travel time MNL to Banaue via private car or van?

2) Travel time from Banaue to Vigan? Vigan to Banaue?

3) Will weather be a factor up in the mountains that time of year?

4) Are there other equally impressive rice terraces that may be easier to get to than Banaue? Or if we're to see only one of the rice terraces, is Banaue the must-see?

5) Are there companies in the Philippines that rent out SUV's?

Thanks in advance!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Manila-Banawe-Vigan-Manila will at least get you 11+8+6+12=37 to 40 hrs on the road.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Dobol post

Edited: 21 September 2010, 15:56
Seattle, Washington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Just so I'm clear...

Manila to Banawe is 11 hrs?

Banawe to Vigan is 8?

Vigan to Manila is 6 or 12?

Thanks!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

manila - banaue approx 11 hrs

banaue to baguio to vigan = 8 + 6 hrs

vigan to manila = 12hrs

this approximation is based on our family trip using a self drive 15 seater van with 1-2 hrs stop for lunch snack toilets pictures stretching for each way

Edited: 22 September 2010, 09:35
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

to answer your other concerns:

2) there is a way from Banawe to Vigan that will cut your travel short via Cervantes but this route are for the 'veteran' travellers.

3|) no, for as long as there is no typhoon

4) Banaue is the most popular. Once you get there,you have access to a lot of other places of interest

5) there are, but i cannot name them as im not familiar.

Seattle, Washington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Thank you so much for the additional info, edwinic!

Boy, it sounds like a lot of driving and I assume the roads are pretty rough? Although I've read somewhere that the roads are getting paved and better than in recent years.

So, if my family feels it's too much of a drive, would Sagada be a good alternative? Are there rice terraces to see there?

Thanks again!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

The distances Manila-Banaue and Manila-Sagada are almost equal.

The roads are fairly good by local standard. When you get to the Mountain Province, there are many Rice Terraces along the Hanselma Highway. Hanselma Highway connect Baguio to Bontoc (gateway to Sagada & also junction connection to Banaue).

If you are doing Manila-Banaue-Bontoc-Sagada-Baguio-Manila << that will be a close loop and efficient way to see the countryside and terraces but that Vigan destination is sticking like a sore finger.

It can be done but you have to add days. Also if you are intending to drive yourself, be sure that you have done the same in the past.

Another way is to fly to Vigan - road travel to Baguio (or cut thru Cervantes) - on to Bontoc - up to Sagada - back to Bontoc/Banaue- then to Cauayan for a 50 min fly to Manila.

Seattle, Washington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

We might just skip the mountain provinces and stick to Vigan. What airlines fly to Vigan? I've been looking on the internet and can't find any. Or do you mean we would fly to Laoag and then drive to Vigan?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
281 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manila to Banaue to Vigan back to Manila

Yes Laoag airport is the nearest.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply