We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

I'm long overdue in writing this review, but I'm about to go back and revisit this place, so I want to get this done in advance of that visit.

The Banaue rice terraces are really much more one might think. Indeed, there are rice terraces in the town of Banaue, but there are literally countless numbers of terrace constructs flung throughout the Ifugao province, all worthy of the trek to get to them, many more spectacular than those found in Banaue town.

The rice terraces found in Banaue proper are the most widely represented in photographs, illustrations, banknotes, and many other things that call attention to the area. And while truly stunning in themselves, if you have a chance to stay in Banaue for any number of days, take some of the hikes available through the Tourism Center.

You will encounter sites of such epic proportion that you will be overtaken with the same mystical/spiritual/awe-inspiring feelings akin to visiting places like Machu Picchu, the Great Pyramids, or the ancient Cambodian temples; prepare thyself for a metaphysical smack-down.

A number of the rice terraces throughout the region are designated as UNESCO world heritage sites, dating back to more than 2000 years. Hence, it goes without saying that these magnificent stair-stepped rice paddies are truly one of the most important historical and cultural treasures of the Philippines.

To put it short, a trip to the Banaue area for at least 3 to 5 days should be on everyone's bucket list, whether you are Filipino or not.

Visitors can experience these breathtaking terraces by visiting various viewpoints in Banaue itself, as there is a cluster of them that traverses the very heart of town.

The nearby villages of Bangaan and Hapao are accessible by motor transport and offer stunning views.

Those seeking a more challenging excursion can choose from a number of day and multi-day hikes to the surrounding villages of Batad, Cambulo, and Pula.

The Ifugao Province is a world-class destination for avid trekkers from around the globe and Banaue is their "home base."

If you are one of these trekkers, or are just looking for a more rewarding and challenging experience, opt in for the three day Pula-Cambulo-Batad-Bangaan tour.

If you want to "go all out," talk to one of the Tourism Center guides about hikes to more far-flung villages or climbing Mt. Amuyao.

In my visit this past January, 2012, I was dismayed to find that in some areas the rice terraces had fallen into disrepair, having been abandoned.

There were a number of reasons for this.

In some cases it was due to the fact that the irrigation system in that area was damaged and the farmers simply did not have the resources to make repairs. Water is supplied to the terraces via springs higher up in the mountain, which are channeled through the terraces in a complex series of irrigation canals.

In other cases, there wasn't enough income through harvesting rice alone and the farmers took up carving or other crafts.

To add a final nail in the coffin, younger generations simply have/had no interest in carrying on the legacy, or they simply needed to move on to better opportunities.

I came to the saddening conclusion that these magnificent structures had entered into a serious state of decline, with perhaps 10 to 15 years left before they would be completely abandoned and quickly overgrown, becoming ambiguous and undetectable amidst the sprawling rainforest.

Thankfully, there is and has been very concerted efforts, from numerous fronts, to come up with ways to make sure that the rice terraces are preserved for the posterity of the nation.

As-a-matter-of-fact, the Ifugao Rice Terraces were on the UNESCO endangered list until June 2012, when they were removed with high marks given to the government and people for their restoration/preservation efforts.

The government has finally begun making significant investments in the region for repairs restoration.

The locals from surrounding villages have taken part in joining together in rebuilding.

There are also efforts to institute training for the villagers to offer homestays as a means of added income.

Another way is through the efforts of voluntourism, whereby tourists actually give of their time while visiting to help in the preservation effort. If you are of such a persuasion, please PM me and I will give more information on this.

During my two-week stay in the Ifugao province I took a number of excursions (I am a rather short, portly chap and I lost more than 20 pounds in that time.) They were:

Batad-Bangaan Hike (Full Day - Guided)

Banaue (Pfanawor) Terrace Hike (1/2 Day - Solo)

Cambulo Trek (Full Day - Guided)

Hapao (hot springs) Excursion (Half Day - Guided)

Banaue Ethnic Village Experience (2 Hours - Solo)

Pula-Cambulo-Batad-Bangaan Outing (Three Days - Guided)

Poblacion-Kinakin/Poblacion Rd. Walk (2 Hours - Solo)

Poblacion-Viewpoint-Poblacion Walk (2 Hours - Solo)

In addition to the longer treks, there are terrace clusters literally all around Banaue Town itself. You can take any number of 2-4 hour walking hikes that will take you by many stunning vistas.

Tips and suggestions:

I highly recommend staying at the Banaue Halfway Lodge. It is run by good, honest folk and is conveniently and centrally located. (www.banauehalfwaylodge.com)

If you are going to utilize a guide, please avail the services of certified guides who operate out of the Tourism Center. These guides have undergone extensive training in areas of trail navigation, CPR, emergency rescue, and many other topics pertinent to your safety and enjoyment whilst on your excursion.. If someone approaches you on the street offering guide services, please be cautious. This is not to say that they are of bad character. They are not, however, certified and trained. I hired one Mariano Pagada out of the Tourism Center for all of my treks and I could not have been more satisfied. He proved himself over our many hikes and provided a level of professionalism that I am CERTAIN I would not have found in a street-hired guide.

In addition to seeing the rice terraces, Banaue is home to many fine craftsmen. The town is literally brimming with artisans producing woodcarvings, native textiles, metal art, knives, and woven straw items.

For a rewarding and well-implemented culural experience, be sure not to miss the Banaue Ethnic Village. This is a very interesting attraction that features a painstakingly recreated Ifugao village, with structures that offer a "living history" of Ifugao architecture. Inquire at the Banaue Halfway Lodge about optional group lectures and ritual reenactments.

Walking poles or sticks are highly recommended for your hikes.

Make sure that you have good hiking boots/shoes, as you will be literally hiking in the rain forest.

With the exception of the Banaue Hotel, all other lodging options do not have in-room electrical outlets. If you need to charge your electronics, most places will accommodate you for a small fee. Before you get your feathers in an uproar over this, a night in the Banaue Hotel starts at 3000+ pesos, whilst a stay in any of the other lodging choices begins around 400 pesos.

Saturday is market day in Banaue, and vendors come from neighboring villages and sitios, selling everything from fruits and vegetables to DVDs and flashlights. It takes up a large portion of Barangay Poblacion, which is the center of Banaue. Shop early to find uncommon items.

As the saying goes: "buyer beware." If someone is trying to sell you an item they swear is "antique", such as a carved statue or old wooden ritual box, or anything else for that matter, do not fall for their very convincing pitch or authentic appearance of the items...THEY ARE MOST SURELY FAKE. There simply are no more old antique items left to be sold. If you want to know more details just message me here on tripadvisor.

If visiting during the rainy season be sure that you take a raincoat and be prepared to get soaked during your hikes. To me it wasn't that big of a deal and I'm doing it again, but there may be those who are unable to tolerate the wetness.

Make sure that you are stocked up on trail food and water for your hike.

Inevitably, in the remote villages to which you will be trekking, children will approach you asking for money. It's better if you take along some snacks or treats to give them.

Have fun!

Edited: 28 November 2012, 06:38
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

oreoero,

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it.

Yes, Ifugao Rice terrace is fantastic. It is the view of the Rice Terrace that made me fall in love with the Philippines.

It really deserved to be one of the Wonders of the World be it the 8th or 100th.

I can't wait to go back.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Very nice written account oreoero!

If I may add.

Please DO REGISTER (before anything else) at Banaue Tourism Office located at the town proper.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Thanks so much for writing this up! It sounds like a place I may want to visit if we go to the Philippines this year.

I suffer in extreme heat, especially when hiking. I did some hiking in Thailand and Laos and felt as if I would melt. Is this region a bit cooler than lower elevations?

What were your sleeping accommodations like? Did you need to bring any of your own sleeping gear such as a sleep sack?

Out of everything you did, what stands out as the top 2 places you visited during your two weeks? We will have only a few days in this region.

What was the cost of a hired guide for the day?

Thanks!

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

@PDXWindjammer:

I am here in Banaue as I write this...I've been here for two weeks now and will be here for at least another two.

Is is generally cooler here. In the months of December thru February it is very cool...even cold at times.

Suffering from hyperhydrosis, I too disdain hiking in hot temperatures, so Banaue is just downright perfect for me.

Here is a webpage that will give you the yearly averages...

jeepneyguide.com/content/climate-banaue

Regarding recommendations on what to do...if you are here for two days, do the Cambulo - Batad - Bangaan trek. You can avail motor transport to various drop points for the beginning of your trek, making the initial leg of the venture an affair ranging anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. You can take lunch in Cambulo and then head out for Batad, where you will spend the night. You can also stay in Cambulo if you wish...depends on how long you want to trek the next day. There is minimal but comfortable and adequate lodging in both villages.

In Cambulo, I stay at the Cambulo Cuest House operated by Mrs. Lapawan (she is also a teacher there and may be able to arrange a very entertaining singing/dancing performance for you by some of the village children...if she does, please make a donation to benefit the children)

In Batad I stay at Rita's Mount View Inn, operated by Germain Nabannal and her parents.

If you have three days, do the Awan-Igid - Pula - Cambulo - Batad - Bangaan. Awan-Igid is a drop off point, where you will begin a full-day of trekking to Cambulo, passing by the village of Pula. After overnighting in Cambulo, you will go to Batad, overnight again, then go to Bangaan the next day, where you will be picked up and transported back to Banaue. As an alternative, you can stay overnight in Pula and then trek thru to Batad the next day.

The options listed above will offer maximum trekking for the time you have.

If you want a more leisurely approach, then do Batad as a one day back and forth from Banaue, stay overnight there, then do Cambulo the next day.

If you take the bus into Banaue, please wait to avail your guide at the Tourism Center. You will probably be approached before you even get off the bus by "guides" who are not certified and trained. At most you may save just a few hundred pesos (5 dollars) using their services and the difference is just not worth it, fro both a safety and knowledge perspective. Certified guide service is PHP1200 for day treks and PHP1500 for overnighters. That converts out at $25-37.00 (plus tip, of course.) That price is guide service only and you will pay for your own water/meals.

My guide is Mariano Pagada (I also used him last year.) He is very competent. If you want to use his services, just inform the Tourism Center.

Hope this helps and have a great time visiting Ifugao!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,069 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

ore, great trip report.

While you have formally reviewed Banaue rice terraces and Sagada for TA (i.e. by submitting a review), many of us would be appreciative if you could gradually ask TA to list some of the other attractions you mention and then (once listed by TA) you could submit formal reviews for each.

This allows TA to give each attraction a relative popularity ranking and is where most newbies to TA visit rather than the fora. Many thanks and glad to hear that you lost some kilograms.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Excellent trip report and tips. I can sense just by reading through your post how much you love the place. Enjoy the rest of your stay there. Hopefully, we can hear more from your trip later.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

Very helpful info. Thanks!

I ended up sleeping in a hut on the floor in Laos after befriendling a novice monk who invited me to take a boat 6 hours up the Mekong and then hiking into his village for 2 hours. This was an amazing experience but I don't think my boyfriend would be up for this type of sleeping so glad to hear there are basic accommodations with beds.

As I get heavier into my planning, I will pm you to get more info.

Oh, and one more question. Is the bus that goes to this area comfortable enough to sleep on or is it more chicken bus style? I have a difficult enough time sleeping in a bed so I will probably just plan on being sleepless on this night bus.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

The buses used are just normal coach with air con.

They are not sleeper type and I did not encounter any chickens in the bus. :P

San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

@victorianlad:

You are so correct in observing a need for more expanded "attraction" listings for this area. Unless you spend some time in the area, you have no idea just how much there is to see and do.

One very frustrating thing is that many tourists come here, think there is only the Banaue Rice Terraces and decide to move on to Sagada, which, for my tastes, has an extremely unbalanced number of foreign owned and operated businesses, and thus does not give a true immersive experience regarding Filipino culture.

Another problem is that Sagada has a much more detailed presence on TA.

The long and short of it is that, in my opinion, Ifugao has much much more to see and do than does Mt.Province, but does not put their best foot forward, so to speak, when it comes to marketing.

I do plan on trying to get the attraction section section expanded.

Thanks again, sir, for your continued encouragement. Have a great New Year!

Edited: 03 January 2013, 00:32
San Antonio TX
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Banaue Area - General Info, Tips, & Suggestions

@PDXWindJammer:

Regarding the bus trip, the seats are typical of most any coach bus line...think Greyhound in the U.S.

You have your own seat with reclining back.

You should be able to catch a little sleep...I strongly recommend that you bring along a light blanket. You can pick one up for around PHP200 ($US5.00 at the time of this writing), and that will make the trip MUCH more comfortable. Any mall department store will have them..

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions..

Edited: 03 January 2013, 00:41