We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

After arriving on the over night bus from Manila to Banaue, how easy will it be to find a guide right away to take us on a trek from Pula-Cambulo-Batad? We would like to stay overnight along the way and make it a two day trek.

I know that some people arrange a guide in advance but I am not sure that we are going to bring a cell phone with us so not sure pre arrangement will be convenient for us. We are hoping not to have to waste much time in Banaue after arrival in order to find a guide.

Also, how much can we expect to pay (even a range of fees is fine as an example) for the guide per day plus the ride to Pula?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
2,067 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

TA member touristdriver is a regular visitor to Banaue as many of his clients ask to tour there. He has a regular local guide named Irene. Send a TA private message to Arnold (touristdriver) who will reply when he is in an area with good mobile coverage.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

You definitely can pre-arrange one.

You can find Irene's contact here.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294245-c188959/Phili…

If she cannot make it, she will send her trusted helper.

When you have bought the bus ticket, just give her call or text her. SIM card is cheap in Philippines; P40 and maybe just top up P100 load.

You can also find guides when you reach Banaue. Go to the Tourism Office to look for one as the guides there are accredited. This does not mean those unaccredited guides are lousy.

This is just to give you a peace of mind.

Pula-Cambulo-Batad route is pretty standard but still, make sure the guide know this route.

However, Irene has told me that there are instances where the are more visitors than accredited guides though I do not know how often do this happen.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

Thanks. We will try to bring a cellphone but not sure we want to bring our iPhones with us as its another thing to worry about keeping safe.

Also we will be arriving from Canada to Manila and then want to take the over night bus that same night. Would we have time to find a SIM card that quickly?

Is it common for people to leave their large packs at the guide's house during over night treks? We would just bring minimal stuff with us on an over night trek and for the few days in Batad.

Lastly, are there reliable ATMs in Banaue? We will have just arrived from Canada the day before and won't have stocked up on money yet. We can use the airport ATMs but we won't have a feeling yet for how much money we will need for Banaue/over night trek and Batad.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

Before I answer any further questions, what time does your flight will land in Manila?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

Another question, when do you intend to visit Banaue?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

We arrive into Manila on April 21 at 630 am. We will need to 'waste' the day before the night bus ride to Banaue. Hopefully we can waste the day buying bus tickets and maybe dindin a cheap hotel to use the room for a few hours to shower and nap.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

With your flight at 0630hrs, you can buy the tickets to Banaue.

You can just find a shorT time hotel to stay, if you know what is a short time hotel is.

You still can walk around Manila duringvtge day. Intramuros will be good.

There is no atm in Banaue. So change all the money you need in Manila. After buying the tickets, go to Makati to change your money.

As for your luggage, it depends how much you trust your guide. Usually it should not have any problem.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

As for SIM cards, they are everywhere. Just go to any 7-11 and you can get one.

Also get a cheap phone like less than P800.

You have lots of time to get all these things before your bus ride.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

The part that worries me is not bringing enough money to the north. We will be up there for about ten days and as we will have just landed will have no idea about the price of things. Also no idea what type of cheap hostels we can find so budgeting will be tough to predict.

Any advice on how to decide how much money to bring to cover transport, food, lodging, tours, guides etc?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding guide in Banaue (Pula-Cambulo-Batad)

I can't give you an exact figure.

Let's do some assumption.

For hotel, let's use Banaue Hotel as a benchmark. I think their lowest price room is about P2500. So let's assume P2500 per night. Most accommodations in Batad and Palau charge less than that.

Guide fee. Let't take it as P1500 per day.

Transport. For 10 days assuming you take public transport and not chartered of private. P5000 for 10 days. Based onto experience this should be more than enough for public transport with Banaue. There are no public transport in Pula, Cambulo and Batad!

Food. Let's assume a simple meal for one person is P300. So three meals a day will be P900.

With all these assumption, you can do the math. I don't think you can hit the number after adding all up if you spend in a frugal way.

If you are afraid, whatever you added up, add another 20%. You should be quite safe.

I hope this helps.