We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for Camiguin tour

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for Camiguin tour

Hi all!

Am travelling to Camiguin on impulse in a few days and I havent had time to do research. Also, I'll be travelling alone on a supposedly adventure. I've paid for my tickets already - flying from Manila-Cebu then Cebu-Camiguin via PAL and Seair to shorten the travel time. Also booked a room in Bahak Bakasyunan sa Camiguin for my stay.

However, I would need help if anyone knows any contacts for tour guides or suggested transportation that I could take around the island. I know I can easily arrange this from the resort, but I've learned early how much they usually add up to the actual cost. Don't know if I should get a car, a jeep or a tricycle for myself.

Any inputs on contacts and Camiguin must-do's (must eat's, must visits, must activities, must buy's) will be greatly appreciated.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

hi Impulse! How was your adventure trip to Leyte?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

Hi marlet! Thanks again. Both my trips to legaspi and tacloban went very well. I was able to do my tasks within a few hours by flying in and out of legaspi on a saturday, and in and out of tacloban by sunday. Was surprised that I was able to see the tour basics of both places in just a few hours.

Those trips were both work related, and this new post is for a much needed R&R!

Sometimes I really couldnt help travelling on impulse, but this time am a bit worried as I have not researched much on Camiguin. I just booked a flight to Cagayan de Oro on Sunday and booked a resort as well without researching on the whole travelling to Camiguin thing. I didnt realize there are still transfers by bus and ferry. I wasnt able to get the direct flight to Camiguin from Cebu as I have initially posted so I have to research double time.

I hope you or any of the TA members here could share tips or contact infos for easy hassle free transfers from Cagayan de Oro airport to the ferry port and from Camiguin port to my resort.

Cagayan de Oro...
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

Sorry but I do not know of any Camiguin guides. I can just give you some suggestions.

From Benoni Wharf you can ride a regular jeep or multi-cab going to Mambajao town. It passes by Bahay Bakasyunan. But it might take you several minutes as there are not much jeeps around. You can also hire tricycle or jeeps but will cost you more.

Bahay Bakasyunan (Vacation House) Beach Resort is a good choice. Stayed there overnight. Accommodations are cottage type and has a nice pool. It is a small resort along the shore and a few kilometers away Mambajao, the main town of Camiguin.

Few Suggestions:

1. White Island (sand bar of white crushed corals) - If you haven't gone to White Island, you haven't gone to Camiguin at all. You need to hire a motorized boat to reach the island for around 800 Pesos per boat - accommodates up to 10 people? (that was 2 years ago). It is best to go there early morning. It gets warm when it reaches noon. Taking sand for souvenirs is prohibited. It is also the best place to take pictures with Mount Hibok-Hibok (active volcano) as your background. BTW the island disappears during high tide! :D

2. Pastel - very popular in Camiguin made by Vjandep. It is a small cake/bread with filling.

3. Ardent Hotspring Resort - hot spring water that passes through Mount Hibok-Hibok. They have several pools in different levels.

4. Katibawasan Falls

5. Ancestral Houses in Mambajao and other towns

6. Spanish Church ruins in Catarman town

7. Sunken Cemetery - sunk during the 1871 volcanic eruption. A huge cross in the middle of the sea marks the site of the cemetery.

check out Camiguin government website-

http://www.camiguin.gov.ph/index.html

If you do not have much baggage or if your all alone, I suggest you take a tricycle or a multi-cab. You can hire one for around 500 pesos (just ask). I am not sure if its entire day or for a specific itenirary.

BTW if you plan to stay around Cagayan de Oro or have questions, just email me at visitcdo@gmail.com or visit my website at

http://www.freewebs.com/visitcdo

Enjoy!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,446 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

Hello

I was on Camiguin Island about 2 weeks ago.

Visit CDO already gave you a list of good places to visit. I will just make a couple of comments:

- Ardent Hot Springs is very well worth a visit. It is only p30 entrance fee and you can choose the heat of your pool from luke warm to hot.

They have cheap accommodation there plus a small restaurant and thay also have a band some nights.

- White beach was just a sand bar with a few native shelters with Filipinos selling souvenirs. I don't feel the need to go back there. Visit CDO said P800 but I stayed at Secret Cove and they took us there and back in a banka for P400 which I still thought was too much. Of course white island is close to Secret Cove.

One place not on his list is the Fishnet restaurant on the lagoon in Benoni. It is a fish farm so the seafood is as fresh as it gets. At high tide, some of the dining tables are in the water. IE the rest of you is dry but your feet and legs are in the water while you dine. Very pleasant view while dining. Very nice food.

My island tour was P1,500 for the day in a multicab. There were 3 of us but I suppose it would still have been P1,500 even if there were 10 of us. My toure guide was FRANK POJAS ph: 09205405582. I didn't bargain so maybe it could have been cheaper but regardless, he provided excellent service. I used him several times. He was always there before the agreed time. When touring he carried my tripod for me and half set it up for me ready for me to attach the video camera. Watch for my Camiguin video on my website in about 2 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Regards; Jim Sibbick

Philippines
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

Hi impulsetraveller,

Came back yesterday from a 3-day Camiguin trip

My cousin and I were guided/driven around the island by this nice fellow named Erwin Cagmat (phone number 0916-4592874). We were supposed to share a multicab with 2 couples we hooked up with on the ferry, but thanks to no-Globe-signal, the 2 of us ended up in Erwin's Mitsubishi RV. Rent was P2000 without aircon, P500 more than a multicab, but we were happy as it was more comfy and faster. I love taking photos and Erwin was happy to stop when I see an interesting subject. I couldnt have done this with 4 other people I just met. You can drive around the island, whereever you like, from 8am to 9pm. But by 7pm we're beat and done all the must-sees.

When not on an island tour, you can just take the motorela to go to town or whereever.

Paid P400 for the return boat trip to White Island. Go there in the afternoon, about 4:30-5pm. Sunset from there is unreal. You dont have to do the Ardent Hot Springs at night, like everybody else. We went at 3pm, soaked in the lukewarm pool which was surprisingly refreshing and then went in the 38-degree pool. After that we were ready for more island driving

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

Thanks everyone! I'd like to thank all your valuable feedback in helping me in planning my 4 day trip to Camiguin.

Thanks Visit CDO for your suggested destinations. I actually went to all of them and more. Was also able to spend a few hours in CDO before my flight though it was more like just a drive by. Thanks!

Thanks very much Big_Jim_Cebu for posting your contacts specially of Frank Pojas the driver. Upon arrival at the resort, I inquired at the front desk just to check, and after giving me an obscenely expensive quote for an 8 hour tour, I called Frank and arranged for him to drive me around. He initially gave me a quote of P1,500 for the day, but then I told him I might need him for the duration of my stay, he offered the use of his vehicle for P1T per day, and that included fuel. It wasnt limited to 8 hours, as I leisurely took time taking pictures and enjoying the sites, as Frank brought me to all Camiguin essentials and other newer developments in the province. As I was travelling alone, he was a perfect guide (and bodyguard as well) with good contacts. One day he toured me with his father watching over my things, the next day we bought fish and other stuff from the market in Mambajao and they grilled it in White Island as I enjoyed taking photos and the sun. The following day, he brought along Roger Saturos, a teacher-in-charge of the school in Mantigue Island (a true must visit for those searching for peace and quiet), where I had a great lunch prepared by the residents of the island. I was lucky I was the only "tourist" in Mantigue thay day, and feasted with them a prepared-by-the-beach lunch.

Will make sure to contact again these very helpful people on my next trip to Camiguin, hopefully in time for Lanzones season!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,446 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

For anyone who is interested, my Camiguin trip report is here:

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/blog/?p=43

It contains a link to my Camiguin tour video.

Regards; Jim Sibbick

8. Re: Help needed for Camiguin tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 06:24
Get answers to your questions about Mindanao