We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

mattapoisett, ma
Level Contributor
49 posts
345 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

Hi! We are leaving this Sunday for a few days in Mindanao volunteering and then 2 days in Boracay for a vacation and then back to Manila. My question is this...what is the luggage restriction of 22 lbs per person I have been reading about? For our time in Mindanao we need all of our bedding and towels and I'm afraid we will be over that weight. Any advice? We are flying On Philippine airlines from Manila to Mindanao and then PAL express from Mindanao to Boracay. I have looked everywhere on the airline websites and can't find my answer. Please help!!

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

is it same terminal? check in for flights closes 45 mins before flight -so if you have luggage -no way u will make next flight

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

@clareirishman, In answer to your question, Yes I believe I remember paying about 3000 peso overweight charges ( converted in my mind to about $75 USD ). When I get a chance I will see if I have one of the receipts from a previous visit. My typical large suitcases weigh between 50 and 70 Pounds each. Since the international flights have cut back from a 70 Pound free allowance to 50 Pounds, I have tried to lighten the load to keep it nearer to 50 Pounds. Fortunately I have yet to be charged overweight charges on the international flights New York to Manila but on the domestic flight Manila to CDO and back to Manila they really hit me with the overweight charges. It does not upset me too much because to me the pasalubongs and donations I bring with me mean more to me than the overweight charges. The same on the return, it is the pasalubongs and things I acquire in Iligan and CDO mean more to me than the extra money for overweight charges. I will look for one of the overweight charge reciepts when I get a chance but that figure of peso to USD conversion of approx $75 USD sticks in my mind. I usually fly Philippine Airlines from Manila to CDO. Year before last when they were having labor problems, picket lines etc. I booked Cebu Pacific instead. Similar overweight charges applied.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

Some recent information I have on the new Languidingan Airport. I have been trying to find out if registered taxi service is available at the airport Arrivals Terminal that can take me directly to Iligan. So far the experiences of domestic travelers there have indicated that there is No public transportation available at the terminal itself. Passengers are required to take an airport supplied shuttle ( slight cost ) from the terminal out to the National Highway. ( about 2 or 3 miles I think ). At the junction of the airport road and the National Highway you depart from the airport shuttle and left on your own to get one of the public busses ( Rural Tourist or Super 5 I think ) or get a cab if any are there. I get the impression that some of the same cabs ( real or imitation ) that used to be at Lumbia may have now set up camp at this intersection. I do not know for certain if there is any kind of shelter at this intersection or any kind of " CR " ( rest room ) facility. One of my Iligan friends got soaked in the rain waiting for a bus there a few days ago.

As this airport does not yet have ILS ( insturment landing system ) Flight delays and cancellations may be more weather dependent than they were at Lumbia. Another Iligan friend commented that he was returning to Languidingan Airport from Manila on a late afternoon flight. Due to a sudden change in the weather the Pilot could not land using Visual Flight Rules. It circled around for a while and then went on to Davao to re-fuel. I am not sure if passengers had to depart the plane for the re-fuel or not but I would guess they would. The plane with all of its original passengers ( that boarded in Manila ) then returned to Manila and told they would have to re book the following day. This was on a Cebu Pacific flight. Kind of reminds me of the song " Take The Long Way Home ".

Further information indicates that the tower at the new airport is not fully equipped or operational yet but ground to air communication is still being done from the tower at Lumbia.

I am still in the process of researching about getting a registered and metered taxi directly from the terminal arrivals area ( NOT the passenger transfer point out on the National Highway ) or even a car service to take me directly to Iligan. I am going to try to phone the Region 10 Dept. of Tourism next week or two to see if they can give me any information on this. The airport is supposed to only have registered taxis at the terminal but all information I have found about them indicates going to and from CDO. Nothing mentioned about Iligan City.

With the kind of luggage I have and after the long flight half way around the world from New York to CDO, the last thing I feel like doing is shuttle jumping, bus hopping, etc. From what information I have been able to acquire so far, this airport at this time may not be as tourist friendly as it should be concerning transportation to and from the terminal. Lumbia was far more convienient.

I can just imagine a re-creation of the parking lot at Lumbia, food shacks and all, being built up off the side of the road at the junction of the new airport road and the National Highway. LOL I am getting the impression that Languidingan was put into operation just a bit too early.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

hi bob -yes the excess baggage fee is 150/200peso per kg if paid at check in ,however if booked at time ot ticket purchase -its a lot cheaper ,it can even be added online up to a few hrs before flight at least on cebu pacific . then returned to Manila and told they would have to re book the following day.-i presume they were able to rebook at no cost? i read an article lately about a manila -cdo flight that was diverted to davao because of “deteriorating weather condition.but it was again able to to go to cdo -took off from the Davao International Airport heavy rains and with almost zero visibility.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

If you can open this page on Facebook, you can read the account of the cancelled landing in CDO that I mentioned. Make sure to open " all comments ". From the way it looks, passengers had to buy new tickets and pay for them. Take a look here >>

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

This content is currently unavailable

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

Here is a copy / paste from the link I mentioned above if you can not open it. I left the persons name off of the comments, although this person is known by me from my visits to Iligan City so I am quite confident these comments are authentic. :

Manila to Laguindingan flight 3pm to supposedly 4pm

Our plane had no Landing clearance so we where just in the are flying around for 40 mins plus turbulence

Pilot decided to land at Davao airport we landed at around 5pm

Cebu pacific will only refund or rebook the flight and no hotel accommodation

7pm flight back to Manila till 8:30 pm

Hahay rebooking new flight now at 6:55am

Dinner just had mine now on the 4rth floor of NAIA airport 3 sleepy aha man ta tulog na salug dapita.

The plane had a go signal for flight clearance to Laguindingan then when we where near to land weather got worst in Laguindingan area and there was zero visibility cause Laguindingan has still no Lights on its run way so we where just flying around the area for 40 mins cause there is no clearance and proper visual in the area. The after the pilot decided to land for refueling at Davao but because they can only do so much refund and rebooking can only be done here in Manila

And since its a natural phenomenon wala slang fault so they will not give any hotel allowance not even free meals

Roller coaster ride ang turbulence kanina Mmuffet ! Super

( END OF COMMENTS)

18. Re: Luggage restrictions on Flights to Mindanao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Mindanao