We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Lahaina, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Can anyone advise if there are continuing electric power outages and brown outs in the Lanao Del Norte area? If so, how long are the daily outages/brownouts. There were some serious outages in the news during February and March, and have heard rumors of continued seriously long daily outages in that area, but find nothing in the current news articles on line. Please advise.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Power outages are continuing in many parts of Mindanao at this time. The level of water in Lake Lano, the major supply for the Agus River hydro plants near Iligan City is at a low level and power generation from this major power source has been cut back. Some of the outages are scheduled some are not and can last up to several hours.

Additionally, the warmer than usual temperatures in the region have put a heavier load on the Mindanao Grid system probably due to increased air conditioning demands to compensate for the additional heat.

There have and continue to be press releases and scheduled outage reports on the internet. Is there any particular area that you are interested in ?

Here are a some examples of continuing press reports:

sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/201…

sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/201…

http://www.iliganlight.com/

If you are interested in a specific area please list it in this forum and you may get replies from people in or familiar with those particular areas.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

An additional press release on the Iligan City Govt. Website

iligan.gov.ph/power-outages-worsen-mindanao/

Lahaina, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Thank you, BobnewyorkUSA ! Did several google searches myself and never found current articles, like the links you provided. The exact area which interests me most is Tubod, but doubt that is a big enough population center to find much specific information written about that town. The information in the links you provided covering the region is excellent and gave me a lot more insight into their "current" power situation (pun intended), and likelihood, or lack thereof, for improvement in the coming months. In any case, Thank you again. Your assistance was extremely helpful.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Count on outages and enjoy the outage free time.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

If you are planning a visit, depending on your particulars I would not let the power situation alone cause you to cancel your plans.

Most commercial establishments such as hotels, restaurants, fast food chains, shopping malls etc. are well acoustomed to brownouts and have their own standby power plants with automatic changeover switchgear. One of the hotels I frequent ( and probably the others ) has two huge deisel generators which kick in instantly keeping the lights on, the window air conditioners on and just about everything else in the hotel. During my visits, the brownouts ( blackouts to us in the USA ) have not been much of an inconvienience to me at all. This of course as I mentioned before, it depends on the particulars of your reason for visiting.

There are many sources of commercial press news of Mindanao if you take some time and websearch for them. Here is a link to " Mindanews " to a page pertaining to the continuing brownout situation in many parts of Mindanao so you can continue to keep track of the situation if you desire. There are many other news sources as well.

http://www.mindanews.com/?s=brownout

This is a link to what appears to be the power provider in Tubod. This is a profile site, unfortunately it looks like their website is no longer available on the web addy shown on this profile.

kuryente.org.ph/profile.php…

There is a barangay in Iligan City known as Tubod, not to be confused with the city or locality of Tubod that you are talking about. Two different places.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

Many small hotels now even have generator sets otherwise no one will even enter their door.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

I would imagine the generator business in Mindanao must be booming, especially with those big commercial ones. After the sale and installation comes the maintenance and repairs when necessary. The smaller portable ones must be rolling out of the shops too.

On my visits of 2012 and 2013 I noticed more frequent brownouts than I had in the past, but I must say I did enjoy seeing those big diesel generators behind the hotel in action.

I make it a point to pack a couple of flashlights to take with me along with fresh batteries just in case I need them. I like the size that use 2 C cell batteries.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

You should specify when getting a room to be as far as possible from where the generator is located.

9. Re: Power outages in Lanao Del Norte, and surrounding areas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Mindanao