We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,185 posts
1,653 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report!

I just came back from a short trip to Puerto Galera more out of curiosity than desire. I meant to visit this place more than 20 years ago but never made it. So I guess its unfinnished business. I cant comment on what it was like previously compared to now. The place gets some mixed reports on this forum so I thought I would see for myself and form my own opinion.

The place is definitely no Boracay or Siquijor but I was pleasantly surprised by White Beach. It was clean, not that busy (contrary to reports Id read), off white sand and I believe a viable driveable beach short getaway option from Manila. We went in January where I would expect it to be peak season so I was surprised that it wasn’t overly crowded.

White Beach was somewhat lacking in Culinary Delights but I thought Papa Freds Steakhouse in Sabang had lovely meals. Sabang is probably a good 20+ minute tricycle ride from White Beach. We found an honest and reliable driver so feel free to contact me for his details.

Sabang seemed to have the better restaurant choices whilst White Beach seemed to cater more for the cheaper local type cuisine. No trip in Sabang is complete without walking past the notorious bars. Whilst I didn’t go inside the bars they weren’t in your face, and were discreet. You certainly wouldn’t visit Sabang for the beach but apparently a great place to commence diving expeditions.

We stayed at Amihan Villa a lovely 5 room place which was a short 5 minute walk from arguably the best beach in the area Aninuan Beach. Aninuan Beach was not busy at all. The accommodation wasn’t beachfront but had fabulous ocean views and was modern roomy accommodation. There are 100+ steps to reach the accommodation from the street.

We hired a multicab and had a great day trip visiting the specular Tamaraw Falls, La Pantay Falls and the less spectacular Tukuran Falls. The latter is reached by an interesting and somewhat uncomfortable Carabao ride where one can have a pleasant swim in nice clean cool waters. Other places visited included the Calsapa Hanging Bridge and Mangyan Village. At Mangyan Village we met the very friendly Mangyan people the original indigenous people of Mindoro Island. They sell many quality arts and crafts. Thankfully they use no high pressure sales tactics so you can have a pleasant stroll through the village and see their crafts and the way they live.

Here is a sample of some of my photos.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0754-96f8-5469

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Just Back Report!

@ Glen,

Thanks - just going through them... and looking forward to the lots of reviews coming up :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,185 posts
1,653 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Just Back Report!

I came across this PG Tourism Guide which may be helpful to those considering visiting:

http://puertogaleratourism.com/

Tommo

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Just Back Report!

The problem i find with many websites dedicated to travel in The Philippines is that they are old and out dated, or they contain old photos and some information in them is very much out dated, so i suggest to people who are searching the Web for information to make sure that what they are reading contains updated images and information so when you go to your selected destinations, you will see what was depicted in the images that you saw on the internet.

Cheers

Edited: 03 July 2014, 04:50
34. Re: Just Back Report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Galera