We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Finally ,wer'e heading to Palawan!

I'm under the impression that room and amenities between Miniloc and Lagen are comparative enough as both are high-end resorts. So, which resort provides more stunning views (the moment you step out of your room), closer proximity to natural attractions and convenience? I don't care so much about the pool, the room decor as we are outdoor most of the times.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Miniloc of course! It's the resort closest to the lagoons (which for me is one of the major highlight of a trip to El Nido - specially if you're looking for "stunning"). Lagen is more expensive because of the quality and design of rooms, facilities, pool, etc. Our previous trips there were spent at Lagen, as I've travelled with family for rest and relaxation - while I do most of the outdoor stuff. But aside from the resort itself, both resorts do/share the same activities. A Miniloc guest can spend a day in Lagen, while a Lagen guest has Miniloc as a must stop since they usually get the kayaks there for the trip to the lagoons.

Since you're set sure to be outdoor most of the time, I'd say go for Miniloc so you save a bit and probably be able to stay for another day.

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island, Philippines
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Hey impulse traveller,

We're thinking of 3 days/2 nights only. Is that good enough to fit our activities? Could you please comment on our daily plan. (or suggest on any "not-to-miss" activities):

Day 1

A.M.

- Catch the 9:00 AM flight

-Lunch at the resort

P.M.

-Kayak-small/big lagoon/snorkeling

-Dinner

Day 2

A.M.

-Breakfast

-Scuba Diving intro/Snorkeling

-Lunch at one of the island (12-2)

P.M.

-Island Hopping/snorkeling(2-4)

-Spa at Lagen (4:30PM)

-Dinner

Day 3

A.M.

-Breakfast

-Diving / Snorkeling (flexible)

-Lunch/Checkout

PM.

-Catch the 5:00 PM flight (head to Manila or Sabang/Puerto Princesa)

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
533 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

As mike/impulse traveller mentioned, its miniloc hands down! Its so near the secret beach (just to get in touch with your inner disney little mermaid)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Your itinerary looks okay, but whether you choose Miniloc or Lagen, I'm sure you won't be able to follow your plans. But don't worry, what I mean is you might be discovering more things to do. And you don't have to bother with arranging things as well. Each guest/groups has an assigned activities coordinator. If you arrive in the morning, you can ask during the orientation what can be done in the afternoon. They usually have activities scheduled for the day. During dinner (oh, every dinner is an experience), these coordinators will go around and give you a rundown on what can be done the following day. Aside from the scheduled activities, there are other things included in every package that should be explored as well. It was during my third trip that I decided to try trekking up Lagen to the other side of the island. There's a beach on the other side with a kayak and a guide waiting for me. From there we took the kayaks around the island, entered some caves, and peacefully soaked in the views, and found our way back to the Lagen beach. Of course I didnt do that the first few times since I was more psyched to check out the lagoons, the other islands, and island hopping to the caves etc.

As for travelling to Sabtang or Puerto Princesa on your way back, I have no experience doing that route yet as I have no patience in long boat rides and land transfers in rough roads.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Secret
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Hello there!

As what they all have said, Miniloc is the best when it comes to views! Though have to be honest because even the Lagen has a nice view. But as far as I know it is depending with the room type you'll get if you want a room that has a great view! I know this one company you can check if you want to have a booking for 3 nights in El Nido. Because their rates are discounted and it is package with 19 activities to do and with meals.

Check them www.philippinehotelreservations.com. Chat, email or call them for reservations. Tried their service before very reliable and convenient!

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Thanks guys for the input! We're going to Miniloc and I tell ya the excitement is really buildin' up!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Your most welcome san69! You know what, just replying to your post makes me wanna fly to El Nido again! Of course, trying to stop myself from doing any impulse thing for now. But I've promised myself to go back there very, very soon! Have fun! And if you're the emotional types, don't hold back the tears when they sing to you as you leave the pier...

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Hi Impulse traveller,

You're hilarious! I'm definitely not emotional, but I'll keep a kleenex handy just in case.

Have you been to Amanpulo? It's quite a teaser.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

Hahaha! My mom and bro were really laughing at me! Tears were flowing down behind my shades! LOL! Or maybe it was just the song, or maybe I just didnt want to go back to the real world! Hahaha. That's one of the unforgettable moment(s) during our trips there.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
733 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More stunning natural setting - Miniloc or Lagen?

I haven't been to Amanpulo yet. I guess I'm put off by that steep tag. And before, after checking out and studying what else is there to see in Cuyo, its basically the same as some of the other localtions, with El Nido in a much more stunning setting. A few friends who have been there rave about the rooms and facilities and the exclusivity, plus of course the bragging rights of haveing been to Amanpulo. That's not what I'm usually after. So I've travelled to other places instead.

Mentioned in this post
Cuyo
Cuyo
Argentina
El Nido
El Nido