We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Philippines on my own

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Philippines on my own

Hi there,

I'm going to be visiting the Philippines in early-mid March for about a fortnight. I have family in Manila who I will obviously be visiting however I also want to visit Boracay and Palawan but am concerned about safety, seeing as I'll be on my own (unless one of my cousins is able to come out with me).

My mum has put the frighteners up me a bit, particularly about Palawan, but I'm not sure how valid her concerns are as I've heard mixed stories.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicola

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

In the Philippines, its not difficult to invite someone to accompany you, and majority of mother put frighteners - its their nature. You just need a little growing up.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

London is more dangerous than in the parts of the Philippines you mentioned.

If a cousin accompanies you there should be no problems.

The stories you heard were probably untrue.

Edited: 27 December 2009, 23:45
Bohol Island...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

as long as you don't accept alcohol from total strangers, get too drunk for your own good or that sort of thing, then you will be fine. I have traveled in northern Luzon alone, had dinner by myself at Isdaan, Tarlac til 10pm and had to take a trike at 10pm to get a hotel, turned out okey. Palawan and Boracay are places where I think you will be relatively safe but you should still take care of your money and valuables each time you go somewhere.

If you have a problem about something the hotel personnel are always helpful.

On our recent trip to Puerto Princesa, we have kept a really nice trike driver who wasn't demanding about charges and was very reliable. If you want to avail of his services, just let me know and I will give you his cellphone number.

traveling alone can be better coz you will be able to rely on your judgement, do what you want to do and control your schedule. there's a different sense of freedom. just try it!

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

Hello

It can be hard for people to advise you accurately about your question as they don't know enough about you.

I would say If you are not naive and you have travelled a bit you will be fine, but if this is your first trip abroad and you plan to travel alone you will need to be careful and sensible, as you would need to be in any country you are unfamiliar with.

If your family don't want to join you on your travels I would suggest staying at a backpackers type place in Manila, such as friendlysguest house, speak to other travellers there and maybe even hook up with someone there cos there's always someone else doing similar to you who fancies a bit of company.

Your mum's advice about Palawan is probably based on the incident many years ago when some tourists were kidnapped from Puerto Princessa. Things are much safer now and my own experience is that Palawan is very safe and friendly, and too beautiful to miss.

Enjoy yourself!

Matt

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

Hi there,

I am also travelling to the Philippines by myself at the end of Jan/ beginning of Feb. My friend travelled there alone in November and there were no problems and I went to Kenya by myself in Jan this year. I think as long as you keep your wits about you and trust your instincts, you'll be fine. I return from the Philippines on 13th February and I am visiting Bohol, Palawan & Boracay so if you want to drop me a line, I'll let you know how my experience was and put you in contact with anyone I meet who could help you out while you're out there.

Hope this helps!

London
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

Thank you all for the good advice! I think my friend is going to come with me now but even if he doesn't, I'm going to go anyway. I haven't travelled alone before but I have half decent Tagalog and my cousins are helping me out as well so I'm sure I'll be alright :)

Thanks again!

Nicola

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

In Manila, it’s good you’re visiting relatives who will be able to show you around. It makes a difference to have a local with u to guide u thru the Manila maze – taking the LRT,MRT, buses, jeepneys, shopping, etc. There is always group city tour(or hop on hop off) u can join. Boracay and Palawan are relatively safe places to visit. You have to plan your trip that you almost practically know what you have to do and places to visit and how to get there even before you arrive. Still it is preferable to go with someone who would probably be so happy to see these places also. Be informed and be safe. Do not hesitate to ask for more info. Boracay and Palawan are worth a trip (of a life time).

Happy travelling!

cebu
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

there's always certain amount of danger wherever you will go but i think you would be fine in boracay and palawan alone.

Alabang
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

Hi LondonMestisa

It would help if you would tell us exactly what your Mum is worried about. This way we can answer each of her concerns.

If you don't mind me asking, what's her nationality?

Bong

London
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Philippines on my own

Hi,

My mum is from the Philippines but has lived in England since 1972 (she's obviously been back to visit family, though). She was worried because of the kidnapping in Palawan, I think it was around 200/2001?

Thanks again for the additional advice :)