We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Hi! I'm at the early stages of planning a trip to Palawan and we have just under 3 weeks, end Sept - early Oct. I'd love to hear feedback on my initial planning itinerary:

3 nights Puerto Princesa

3 nights Sabang (jeepney)

2 nights Port Barton (jeepney?)

5 nights El Nido (boat?)

5 nights Coron (boat)

with an overnight in Manila at each end. Travelling with husband and 6 yo son so Tao trip is out. We are divers and love getting out to see and do things rather than lying on a beach.

What do you think of this plan so far? Very open to suggestion! Also really unsure of getting between towns so would love to hear ideas there!

Thanks so much!

J

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

J Itinerary looks great but perhaps a day to many at Sabang.

This Port Barton Travel Guide may be useful to your planning and can be found under Top Questions PB:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1370797-i14980-k5…

Have you shortlisted any accomodation at these places yet?

Tommo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Thanks so much for your reply Tommo! In Sabang was looking at one day UGR one day mangrove trip plus beach time - but perhaps the time can be best spent elsewhere. Looking at Lotus Garden for PP, Daluyon for Sabang (although would prefer somewhere cheaper) and haven't got to accom for the other towns yet. Would love some suggestions - preferrably under P4000.

Thanks for any input!

J

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

It is diffcult to tarvel by boat (bangka) between El Nido and Coron as the short lived Montenegro Lines larger vessel did not appear to last long. TA member tommomelbourne who has been to both destinations more recently than me (and I have only been to Coron) will be able to advise you on the wisdom (including likely sore bottom, not to mention some open water sailing that may or may not be benign, although seas at this time of year are often clamish) of taking the eight hour small bangka trip.

In short, tommomelbourne does not recommend it.

There are some hard to find accommodation options on TA that are the smaller inns. Use the third accomm. radio button on the left hand side of the TA screen after you search for 'Palawan accommodation' to find little non airconditioned gems such as Chindonan Resort, Chindonan Island (albeit that it is above your preferred P4000 a night option).

Other than the El Nido - Coron surface transport question mark your itinerary looks pretty darn interesting and well researched.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Above should read 'travel' and 'calmish': apologies.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Seas in September or October may well be rougher than between mid December to early June, although it is impossible to generalise.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Thanks so much Victorianlad! I've been reading a bit about that crossing so a little unsure - especially travelling with a 6 year old. Considering doing Coron on a separate trip and spending more time in each other spot...

Where would you suggest to stay in Sabang? I had a read over that link (thanks Tommo!) and need to research each a bit - but ideally somewhere a little cheaper than Daluyon but still on the beach with air con...?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

This is another link that may help (Sabang Accomodation) and is listed to the right under Top Questions:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294255-i8273-k…

I think at Sabang Beach the best accomodation I saw was the Sheridan Resort but Im sure its very costly. Plenty of lovely Nipa Huts on the beach but doubt if they have air con. Perhaps consider one of theses 'fan rooms'. Walk out of your accomodation and straight on the beach.

As I have never stayed in Sabang I dont really have any recommendations.

Tommo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Thanks all for your suggestions, the information here is invaluable. I decided we should leave Coron for a separate trip and fly in/out of MNL, and just take the PP - El Nido at a leisurely pace. Would love to hear your thoughts though, on whether to head straight back El Nido - PP directly or whether to stop in Taytay and/or Roxas? Flights out of El Nido seem pretty expensive - any thoughts on this?

Thanks! J

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

As you are visiting in the "low" season, I am inclined to suggest that you reduce pre planning to a minimum (yes, I do know the Seven "P" s).

Beginning with 3 nights in Puerto Princesa you can get a feel of things locally and continue with your holiday based on weather conditions at the time,etc.

Perhaps pre book your underground river trip for Day 4.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palawan in 3 weeks - would love your feedback!

Thanks, I'm a planner though, and travelling with a child need to ensure we have hotels with enough beds etc. Any feedback re getting from place to place? Boat or bus?