We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

Seattle
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

We'll be at Apo Island, Balicasag, Nalusuan and then to either Coron or El Nido for 4 or 5 nights.

At first I was thinking El Nido, but, read some post that put me off, like the beach and water there is pretty dirty and a few other off putting things.

Then I was thinking Coron, not some much for Coron itself, but, easier to get to and the island hoping sounded pretty fantastic. But, read some negative reviews about staying there.

So, hoping for some feedback that will help me decide.

thanks and best regards,

Alan

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

The thing about El Nido is not the dirty beach or what not, it's the limited choices of accommodation and dining plus electricity not being 24 hours is also an issue. Lastly, it takes 6 hours by land to get here from Puerto Princessa. Maybe people are referring to the beach in or near the town itself, you need to go island hopping to experience the better beaches.

As for Coron, the main drawback is that staying in Coron town means you don't have a beachfront, you need to go island hopping for the beach and snorkeling. But this is the same thing when staying in El Nido town.

In terms of scenery, El Nido wins but not by a drastic margin.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

The beach at El Nido Town is a just ok. But there are more pleasant beaches in El Nido a short ride from town. Coron doesnt have beach and is not a pretty town. Best sightseeing and beaches is out island hopping from both places.

If I had to choose a town it would be El Nido. Better restaurants better vibe and a lot more to do. Easier to get to from PP.

Tommo

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

Shouldn't Coron be easier to get to (from Manila)? It's just 1 plane ride and a short van ride. As opposed to flying to PP and then a bumpy 5-6 hour drive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

El Nido is easier to get to from PP. Especially if one is going to PP for the underground river honda bay etc

Coron is definitely easier to get to from Manila.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

What we have both overlooked is the Pal express does service a direct PP to Coron route so Coron would be easier & quicker to get directly to and from both Manila and PP. Although ITI goes direct Manila to El Nido fares are generally higher and not confirmed until 5 days before travel.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

I agree with Justin and Tommo regarding their comments on Coron and El Ndio

One advantage that Coron has (which helps you ignore the lousy town that Coron actually is!) is that you can stay in one of the outlying islands instead (in fact that is what I would recommend to any traveller). For example : we had stayed at Discovery divers resort which is on a small island 10 minutes from Coron. We almost never visited Coron itself (except for a terrible dinner at one of the popular diving resorts after the hot spring visit which I really did not enjoy much!)

2 lessons that I learnt in Palawan...

Coron Caution : If you decide upon Coron, DO NOT stay in Coron town proper - choose one of the outlying islands instead. Lots of them to choose from. Best of everything at half the price as El Nido

El Nido Caution : If you decide upon El Nido, DO stay in a better resort which has electricity all through. You will spend a bit more, but it is worth it. AVOID the budget accommodations unless you are 100% sure about them (We stayed at Lally & Abet - disliked it. then we shifted to Taiyo which was good, but now that I think, nothing to rave home about.... unlike many other resorts in Phils like Mangodlong paradise and coco grove which I still rave about! he he! )

Interestingly, the flora, fauna and geology of Coron and El Nido is just a little different as they fall in the same zone. Coron definitely is easier and less tiring to reach. El Nido definitely sounds more exotic!

7. Re: Our last stop on 3 wk Philippine vacation, El Nido or Coron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 06:17