We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palawan in December

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Palawan in December

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the Philippines starting mid-December and I would love to include Palawan, but I haven't figure out if the weather it's good for sunbathing, swimming, snorkeling etc. or should I choose something else. Is it still rainy then?

Also, we will probably be there for Christmas, which would be the most festive location to celebrate it in the Philippines?

Thanks,

Adriana

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,220 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palawan in December

We were in Palawan last December. Weather was great. Very little rain was encountered.

Best places to be at Christmas are Boracay and Makati.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palawan in December

@ Acodr

As Tommo has rightly pointed out, it does not rain much in December (the monsoons have just receded). However, to keep in mind that places in Palawan (however popular and touristy) are among the least interconnected in the Philippines (yes, even Banaue is better connected) - do keep this extra travel time in mind (Coron in Palawan is thankfully easier to reach)

Also, more Filipinos (esp. the yuppy crowd and mroe upmarket ones) will try to visit Palawan in Christmas holidays

My suggestion? Visit another less crowded place if traveling during the second half of December.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palawan in December

Still take note of the weather though.

In 2011, a typhoon cut across Palawan in December. When a typhoon strike during the non-typhoon period, the destruction power is greater than those typhoon during the typhoon season.

I am not trying to scare you but it happen before so take precaution.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Washi

Again, December is usually a good month to travel to Philippines.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palawan in December

One expert has pointed to me out that though the typhoon path did cut across Palawan (as shown in the wiki article) but it did not kill anyone.

The article do also mentioned "Washi weakened due to land interaction, but the storm quickly regained its strength, in the Sulu Sea. Late on December 17, Washi crossed Palawan and arrived in the South China Sea, and the system moved out of the PAR on December 18"

I am not sure did anyone die in Palawan due to the typhoon but I do trust the expert words.

So do not think that Washi cause widespread damage to Palawan though it did a lot of damage in Minanao.

I apologise if I have mislead or create confusion to anyone.

Thanks.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palawan in December

@ MH

it probably did not kill anyone because Palawan is so sparsely populated. But yes, you make a valid point.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palawan in December

Thank you very much for your answers, glad I don't have to miss such a wonderful place due to general bad weather. @Mousehunt,- appreciate the info about the typhoon, I'm hoping it won't be the case this year :)

7. Re: Palawan in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:17