We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

We(group of friends) are planning on a two week trip to the Philippines later in the year. Half will be devoted to adventuring and the other half in Boracay. We are flying directly to Cebu and spending a day or two there. I have a couple of questions about the feasibility of our plan(s). The goal is to get to Boracay on a Friday as more people would be able to join us in Boracay for the weekend.

Option A

Day 1 (Sunday): Fly to Puerto Princessa from Cebu, maybe do a city tour or just relax

Day 2: Do Underground River Tour

Day 3: Travel to El Nido, relax, do something? suggestions?

Day 4: Island hopping tour

Day 5: Another Island hopping tour, travel to PP at night

Day 6 (Friday): Fly to Boracay

How taxing would it be to travel to El Nido after doing the underground river tour? Or will we be so tired that we can take naps on the van?

Option B

Day 1 (Sunday): Fly to Puerto Princessa from Cebu, travel to El Nido

Day 2: Island hopping tour

Day 3: Island hopping tour

Day 4: Do something? another tour?, travel to PP in the afternoon

Day 5: Do Underground river tour

Day 6 (Friday): Fly to Boracay

But, this means less time in Puerto Princessa. Is this ok? Are we going to miss something? Keep in mind we are males in our late 20's and early 30's. Also, we will probably be dead tired after arriving in PP at night and then having to wake up early for the underground river tour.

We are leaning more towards option B as it seems like we would enjoy El Nido more.

How reliable is AirAsia? It was the cheapest ticket price I saw, but arrive so late to PP at 6 PM.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

Day 3: Travel to El Nido, relax, do something? suggestions?

= Nothing. Assuming you take the 10 am roro bus, you will reach El Nido at 4 pm. Just relax / walk along the beach towards Caalan beach. At night, walk around the town, eat, sleep.

How taxing would it be to travel to El Nido after doing the underground river tour? Or will we be so tired that we can take naps on the van?

.....VAN? You want to take the van instead of roro aircon bus. God bless you. If you take the van (instead of roro bus), you will be sufficiently tired. the last 1 hour is absolutely bumpy. RUC (Road under construction). Plus, it is difficult to nap in the van if you are more than 5 feet 3 inches tall. The vans are those small ones... and unless you pay for hte other passengers, do expect to 'feel close' to everyone ;-)

Day 4: Do something? another tour?, travel to PP in the afternoon...

... The early morning walk along El Nido beach upwards to caalan beach - right upto Hippo campe is beautiful..... do it. have kape / brekky somewhere en route. island hopping 1/2 day is possible, but do check the roro bus timings for return. In my opinion, that would crowd too many things - the island hopping is surprisingly tiring!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

If you want to take the van, choose Palawan Daytripper.

Their drivers they still have to live tomorrow so they usually driver slower but safer.

Option B is good but as YLOO says, take note of the travelling time needed between PP and El Nido.

You will not miss PP a lot but their firefly tour is nice.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,220 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

I also like Option B. The sights you will see in El Nido will far outweigh what you are missing out on in PP i.e. city tour, honda bay!

Zest Air Asia is fine as I did several trips with them recently and all were on time. In fact leaving Kalibo we got on a flight an hour early. This happened because when we arrived at Kalibo check-in staff asked if I wanted to get on the earlier flight which was boarding in 10 minutes. Of course I said yes and there was no extra charge. Speaking to other members in Manila recently apparently Cebu Pacific would Charge you for this even if the flight wasnt full.

Tommo

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

Ugh, I had thought I posted my reply. Coming back only to see I did not.

I was using http://www.gopalawan.travel/ as a guide/resource and I saw the van transfer. I assumed this was the most comfortable way to get to El Nido, apparently, it is not?

Even if it is a little more expensive, we will fly using Cebu Pacific as their time is earlier, but at least we will get to El Nido with maybe some day light.

I think we are leaning more towards spending an extra day in El Nido. Just seems like there is so much we would miss with only spending 2 and a half days. We will arrive in Boracay a day later, can always make up time there easier.

With the extra day, should we do another island tour or do something else? Looking at the photos, it looks like it is such a perfect place for stand up and paddle boarding. Are there any rentals there?

Also, how long does it take to get to Nacpan Beach?

We would like to get back from El Nido to PP before midnight so at least we can get a few hours of sleep for the underground river tour the next day. What time should we leave El Nido so it won't be "so bad"?

After doing the underground river tour, we will take the air asia flight to Cebu around 5 PM (the website said they can arrange an earlier bus ride back to the city) We will just grab a hotel near the airport for easier transfer. Flying back to Cebu will actually come out cheaper and we would be able to pick up some of our stuff.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

@ Ryan

You will find your answers related to travel, Island hopping / what is worth in the below previosu threads -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294256-i9213-k672…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294256-i9213-k700…

Do see the blogs in the above threads of other travellers - they have posted useful info including the roro bus

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

@ Ryan

Do also see MH's blog on the day tripper van trip PP to El Nido.

I recommend the air con roro bus - much more comfortable (though i still disliked the last 1 hour on the bumpy road)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

YLOO,

The last 1 hour is actually deliberate.

That is called Palawan massage on the go for our butt! :p

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

@ Ryan - Sorry forgot to post it - here it is

…wordpress.com/2013/…

@ MH

He he - I have requested TA to add this in the El Nido " attractions" - El Nido butt massage!

Perhaps I should add the same for port Barton too! It is longer!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

Nacpan beach - 45 minutes by van from El Nido / 1 hour 15 minutes by trike.

Cost (trike) = 800-1000 pesos round trip

See the below blogs / TA links for details ...

choosephilippines.com/go/…

pinoytravelfreak.com/2012/10/nacpan-calitang…

lakwatsero.com/photo-blog/…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294256-i9213-k678…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Princessa to El Nido to Boracay

-YLOO

Did you feel rushed when you did the 4 tours in 2 days? Or was it more than enough time?

It seems like a good idea to do that, so at least on our 3rd day, we can can go to Nacpan beach, take our time and relax the rest of the day.