We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Hi all,

I have been reading through many threads here, the more i read the more concerned i am..

We have 6 days in Palawan. The main driver coming here is the underground river. I detest long bus rides, so El Nido is off the cards. There does not appear to be flights from Puerto Princesa heading up to the airport near Coron, so that kind of throws that off as an option for this trip too. So best i can tell that leaves is with just the underground river, a trip out around Honda bay... and not much else?

Puerto Princesa does not seem like the kind of place you spend 6 days. I can see Sabang is about 2 hours away, but it does not look much better in terms of beaches or things to do. We have not booked any accomodation yet. Am i reading too much into this and Puerto Princesa/Honda Bay has enough to keep us interested or at least nice beach to relax?

Mentioned in this post
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island, Philippines
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,813 Reviews
Sabang
Sabang
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,623 posts
2,075 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Bite the bullet and do the 6+ hour road trip to El Nido. You can go by bus( I used Roro Bus and the time went quickly and was scenic) or its quicker via a reputable and safe shuttle service like Daytripper.

Very beautiful scenery to see during Island Hopping. Your compromise could be to do the road trip 1 way to El Nido then fly out of El Nido with ITI Airlines to Manila. This is what we will do next time when we visit rather than bus it both ways.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

El Nido is not an option, for this trip anyway. :)

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Another option would be to spend 2 nights in Puerto Princesa and then fly elsewhere. Though, i'm not sure you can fly direct to anywhere except Manila??

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,623 posts
2,075 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

An option is to fly to Cebu with Cebu Pacific. From Cebu you have access to places like Bohol & Siquijor via fast ferry or Camotes via slow ferry and Malapascua and Bantayan are other options.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
Siquijor Island
Siquijor Island
Visayas, Philippines
Malapascua Island
Malapascua Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Bantayan Island
Bantayan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

There are also activities like firefly watching, ugong rock trekking, and honda bay island hopping in addition to underground river visit. 2 days is enough. I personally suggest to proceed to El Nido simply because the island hopping is worth it.

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Hi, you say you have 6 nights, that gives you 5 full days to fill in with activities.

You clearly want to see the Underground River, but do not want to go to El Nido because of the Bus ride, and that is probably a good thing because going to Sabang is a full on, full day trip from Puerto Princesa and return, 2 hours both ways in one day.

Puerto Princesa is a really nice place in my opinion, our family loved it there for our 2 night stay at the Blue Lagoon Resort, but there is limited options as far as touristy things go, and Honda Bay i personally would not bother with.

With the Underground River trip, you Must book this trip in advance, preferably when you book your hotel, because there is only a limited number of people allowed in the River each day.

You didnt mention flight times, and these will have a bearing on your itinerary especially if you are going to travel places during your stay.

Can i ask you if you had considered a place called Port Barton, about 3.5 hours away by private aircon Van, if so, i would like to propose what i think would be a very nice itinerary that will fill your 6 nights/5 days perfectly, as long as you are up for the 3.5 hour Van trip.

Day 1: Arrive in Puerto Princesa and stay there the first night

Day 2: Take the full day Underground River tour but rather than return to Puerto Princesa, you stay that night in Sabang, just for the experience, it is apparently a lovely place to stay according to many people in this forum (we did not have time to go there on our trip)

Day 3: Sabang to Port Barton and stay there for night 3, 4 and 5, or you can stay at any of the other island resorts or Beaches located nearby.

Day 6: Return to Puerto Princesa by private Aircon Van and stay the night

Day 7: fly out

I wont go into specifics about the Van Operators or accommodation for each location, i can provide you with those details later if you like my proposal.

In the following link you might find some useful help and advice that i gave to some other people doing a similar trip.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294255-i8273-k…

If you would like to see some videos of the Port Barton Region, you can find all mine in my new Vimeo Portfolio in the following link, Port Barton is on pages 3 and 4 i think.

If you think Port Barton would interest you, then i am happy to offer you more help with arranging Vans etc, as Vans are by far the best, and the safest travel option around these regions of Palawan.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Princesa Underground River
Puerto Princesa...
4,910 Reviews
El Nido
El Nido
Sabang
Sabang
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,813 Reviews
Port Barton
Port Barton
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Apologies, forgot to post the link to my Videos of this region in my Vimeo Portfolio, the first few pages are videos shot while staying at Thelma & Toby's Island Beach Camp located along the coast about 20 minutes north of Port Barton, and in those videos, there are several videos shot on our snorkeling trip and to 3 of the islands out in the bay off Port Barton Beach.

The Port Barton videos are on pages 3 and 4.

vimeopro.com/user15365810/palawan-camping

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Port Barton
Port Barton
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your response. I had actually read quite a lot of your posts and they were very insightful. Has certainly given me lots of ideas for this trip and in future. Port Barton is certainly an option, though i think we are now leaning towards just spending 2 nights in Puerto Princesa then getting a direct flight from their to Cebu, and a ferry to Bohol. We have not booked flights within the phils as yet. Seeing the chocolate hills, the tarsiers, and maybe some of the waterfalls in Bohol are all things we'd like to do. I actually have a week or so in Thailand before heading to the Phils so i can relax more there and be a bit more active whilst here.

Before i go to Palawan i may have a few days spare also, depending on how long i stay in Thailand, so am considering whether a short trip (2 nights) to either Coron or Boracay is worth doing too.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
Port Barton
Port Barton
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

@ Sydrooster ...... no worries, i hope you have a great time wherever you decide to go, and have fun in Thailand, i have not been back there for 15 years myself, however little chance of that in the future because i dont like the political scene that is going on over there, and there are just too many places to see and things to do in my Wifes home country of The Philippines, and we are hoping that one day we will be in a position where we can spend at least 6 months a year here in australia, and the other 6 months over there, probably in the Port Barton region because we loved it so much, and we, as a small family found it to be a far better place to stay than El Nido was.

Cheers.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 09:30
Mentioned in this post
Port Barton
Port Barton
El Nido
El Nido
uk
Level Contributor
345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in Palawan, are my options limited?

I am flying Manila - El Nido, with IHT and they have promo rates until september 5000php each way. The booking process is a bit labourious but well worth it! email them direct they will send you details, if you want to do the underground river then you can take the flight one way the bus to PP the other.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 09:46
Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
El Nido
El Nido