We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

My daughter is only 16 months old and I was wondering if it would be safe to travel to El Nido and Palewan with her?

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

yes, palawan will be safe from your baby. In fact, thousands of babies are born there.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

If I have a 16-month old baby I would not hesitate to bring him/her to El Nido.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

thank you guys, I have just heard scary stories about kidnapping and got a bit worried.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

Where did you read it from?

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

I'm on Palawan Island right now. I don't see why not.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

Babies cry & poop a lot deterring potential kidnappers.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

I read it on this site.

…govt.nz/destinations/philippines.shtml

hehe edwinic, yes my baby cries very load, so should scare most of them away;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

Frankly speaking, I don't think there will be a lot of countries that says that PHP is a safe country that you can wander around freely.

Though I must admit that kidnapping does happen but that does not mean everywhere in PHP.

During my recent trip to PHP, I am surprise to see the number of westerners in Cebu. The number of foreigners in Panglao is in great numbers too. Some even bring their whole family along with many kids!

Though I cannot say that PHP is crime free but this happens to anywhere in the world. Please do not take offense, HK do have their own share of problem but does that stop visitors from going to HK? Obviously no.

Singapore, being well known as a clean and green city also have our own share of problem like tourist got scammed, taxi drivers being rude etc.

Be sensible. Take the precaution that you will take at home. Do not go to dark lanes, do not flash your valuables, wear conservatively etc.

A lot of crime in PHP is usually driven by poverty. I usually hear violent crime happens in Angeles City but that is a big area of bars and clubs.

Since you are from HK, I guess maybe you are partially influence by the recent bus hijack case where HK tourist dies during the ordeal. That is really unfortunate.

I have been to PHP 4 times alone. Though I got cheated but I was not harm.

With a 16 month old baby in tow, I guess you will be visiting malls and beaches.

Enjoy yourself at the beach. Palawan is a nice place though I have not been there before. Do note that I think children below a certain age are not allowed into the underground river.

Actually, how I envy you that you care able to visit Palawan. :)

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

I am a traveler and I even go to countries which are poorer than the Philippines. As long as I bring my travel common sense I know I will enjoy my vacation. My dad lives here in the Philippines for more than 50 years and he haven't been a victim of crime... but when we went to Chicago, Illinois he lost his wallet to a pickpocket with a gun.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Palawan with a toddler

Thank you for your advices and I agree. I am not from Hong Kong, but live here, as an expat. I do find HK very safe, while we have big problems when we go to China. Our baby is blond and are being picked up of the stroller and surrendered with strangers who wants to touch and hold her. It can be quite intimidating. I avoid taking her over there. The same happened in Malaysia, but it was in a different way. People would take her, but hold her close to us so that we could see her, and I never felt threaten.

She gets quite a lot of attention in HK too, but more in terms of people want to take pictures of her. Cant understand why they want a bunch of pictures of random kids on their camera but….

However, Pawlan seems so clean and crime free, so just wanted to make sure that it is relatively safe. As you say mousehunt there is no guarantee anywhere.

Sorry about your dad kelger, that is awful, but there are crazy and desperate people everywhere I guess.