We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency?

We are staying at Miniloc for 8 days, after a couple of days in Manila. Although we will pay our hotel bills by card, which currency should we take for tipping, small items etc?

Thanks in advance :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
641 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency?

PHP or USD will do.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency?

what small items? most stores will only accept peso or the rate u get to exchange dollar may not be good -since euro is probably what you are using?

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency?

From what I remember, you can charge small items to your room then pay by credit card after the trip. You may give pesos or US Singles for tips.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency?

I was thinking of maybe taxi fares in Manila, although we are there on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so we may not be moving that much from our hotel - not sure what will be open!

And at Miniloc I was mainly thinking about tipping staff. If US$ are acceptable that would be great, as any left over we will use during our summer holiday.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency?

Using American or other foreign currency will NOT endear you to anyone here in the Philippines. In fact I'd say the opposite. Perhaps in a large bar or restaurant if you wave a wad of dollars around, they won't care. But for the majority of places, use pesos. Little restos have to pay commission to change up your US currency and it's annoying and costly.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency?

In the Philippines, any money that you gave "from your heart" will be heartily accepted, be it US$, Japan¥ or Mexican Peso.

I recall when an American sailor handed out a Mickey Mouse money to a waitress who shriek with joy saying she will keep it as a collection.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,358 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency?

what country will you be in...ahhhh, then use that currency. If you use USD or mickey mouse money (edwinic) you will pay more as exchange for them will not be a good rate.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency?

Ed, you can't be serious, surely? That's your advice?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency?

<<<In the Philippines, any money that you gave "from your heart" will be heartily accepted, be it US$, Japan¥ or Mexican Peso.>>>

-I can't speak about the Mexican peso part but I agree with that about the U$ and yen. Most people would love to receive your $ as a tip specially the exchange rate is Php41:U$1.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which currency?

I disagree. Living in Boracay I know many small business owners and most of them find it a real nuisance and somewhat disrespectful to be paid in foreign currencies, especially if they don't inform you in the beginning that they don't have any pesos. This is the Philippines. Use pesos! How hard can it be to change up your currency into local notes??