We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tao Trips and what will we miss?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tao Trips and what will we miss?

I'm pretty bummed that it doesn't look like we'll be able to book a Tao trip. I think I've sufficiently bugged them with emails and now they're either too jammed up with emails and requests that came in earlier than mine or they find my persistence annoying and don't want me along haha.

While I'm certainly disappointed I realize now I should have tried to get a spot many more months ahead of my initial inquiry so really, it's my fault. Although I do wish despite their fame and popularity, they would confirm that I can't get on a tour...

So I booked alternate plans and have decided that we will enjoy staying in El Nido at a couple different spots and doing Island Hopping tours. It seems like the island-hopping tours hit a lot of the places Tao does so maybe we'll still have a hell of an experience, my only question is: Are we missing something amazing by not being on a boat with Tao from El Nido to Coron? Besides the obvious general experience? Are there insanely beautiful places that only Tao goes to or that one can only reach on the way to Coron on a boat?

Obviously, if that's the case I can't do anything about it as my airfare has been purchased but I'd like to know in case I ever have an opportunity in the future....

I appreciate your input! This forum has been very helpful!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
1,995 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

Tao has arrangements with island communities that no one else has.

Given that its tours travel between El Nido and Coron, it is beyond the range of day trips 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D'.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

In addition to Vlad above, yes they have what they call a base camp, where Tao has built their "hotels" (some you can see in their website). These camps are inhabited by very few people or maintaing crew.

Pass Island off Coron, for example can be open to non-Tao day tripper but when an expedition is staying there for overnight, it will be off limits to other tourists (that's the place where a shapely bathing lady can be seen in their website).

Tao has helped communities by assisting kids in their education. You will be taken to those places.

In another island, it also has its "plantatio" where you may get a chance of planting a seedling or harvesting vegetables for your dinner.

You may or can catch your lunch, or help cook a non-meat hamburger.

You will be taken to places that are not frequented by the hordes of tourists and in my case, I had a glimpse of how my grandparents live their lives in the past.

The people you will be with, on the expedition boat, sharing life experiences, stories, over diner, on campfires, early mornings, people who you shared toilets.

And the captain, crews, cooks & expedition leader. You can't swim/snorkel from stationed boat to the beach? No problem, they will kayak you to the place or even with the on board motorised banka. They see to it that everyone enjoy the trip. They pamper the guest in the best way available.

Coron to Elnido takes a whole daylight to cross. You will cross the same area in 5 daylights & 4 nights.

What I have written is a fraction, and limited to my experiences.

I am disappointed that they have not even acknowledge your emails. I am surprised & may take that issue with them. Their being fully booked does not give them excuse not to reply. I hope Eddy is reading this & that everything is well. (Check also your spam box)

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. It does sound like a wonderful experience. i love camping and boating and spending time with good people . i hope to be able to participate some day. But I also realize how lucky I am just to have the opportunity to travel and visit El Nido and other beautiful parts of the Philippines! I'm very excited.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

My grandmother is also from the Philippines so this trip has a lot of significance for me :). Also I checked through my spam going back a few months (good suggestion!) and I don't see anything. I've seen other traveler's comments and it seems like there are quite a few of us bugging them multiple times hah. With limited access it might be tough to get through that volume of messages?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

Tao has updated that their email and power is out.

So this explains why they are in radio silence mode.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

I saw that! That's too bad.

7. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 January 2013, 04:19
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

I'm not sure if you've tried this but you might want to give their facebook a shot:

https:/…

I also found this very recent and entertaining video courtesy of billschannel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43V9Dquh4s

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

Well at least I'm not the only one who hasn't got a reply. How close do you think that they book to fill in for cancellations etc?

The trips I looked at for Feb/Mar didn't say full yet or space available so I was hoping that I might still hear from them. On the downside I can't book anything for my trip till I give up all hope and start scheduling flights.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tao Trips and what will we miss?

great youtube link bryant, however 8 mins cant capture most, its a good representation.