We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
El Nido, Philippines
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I'm posting this to spread the word that there is still no bank and no ATM anywhere in or near El Nido. There are too many tourists not knowing about this and are desperate to get cash. Only one gas station gives out a little bit of cash, but maybe two or three people a day are lucky to get some and all the others end up worrying for a few days how to wire themselves cash through Western Union.

There are plans of BPI putting up a bank, but as of now, BPI is still looking for a location to build a bank :(.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Thanks a lot Pawikan,

A most important and timely post.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
1,966 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Surely BDO, BPI or another bank would see a business opportunity there.

It is however remote, but this is also true of many other Filipino bank branches, although the 'majors' can sometimes be absent from smaller towns elsewhere with local banking cooperatives the only one(s) in town.

El Nido tourists must have a huge need for cash . Many of us know how easy it is to underestimate the amount of cash one needs, particularly if one's accommodation does not accept credit cards or 'Sir, I can't get through on the line for the approval' routine comes to the fore.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I was surprised El Nido still does not have an ATM, however I did know of this prior to visiting, so made sure I did have enough cash with me, which I brought from Coron, as they do have at least 3 ATM,s.

I am sure El Nido will eventually get a bank it deserves. Until that time, do your homework and always be prepared

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,457 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I hope everyone going to El Nido read this thread. Blessed are those who do their homework for they will not experience unpleasant surprises.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

Anyone who does the minimum research on the place they are going would find out this information.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

@ VL

Surprises me too

Just imagine ... the first bank to set up it's branch gets a virtual monopoly, esp. for people who need to send money for advance booking, and resorts / shops who need to keep their money away from their pillow! Amazing how none of the banks have done this. Every tourist in a tourist spot needs an ATM so that he / she can spend a bit more.. if not for a touristy attraction, then for more pasalubong.

I don't think the remoteness of El Nido is the issue - I have seen ATMs in developing countries in far more remote places. There was an ATM set up on a boat a few years ago, in a country in South Asia. It functions pretty well.

Incidentally I don't think there is an LBC or LHuillier either for money transfer - hence often when you send money, resorts ask you to send it to Palawan pawn shop ( very difficult to find them in Luzon) or after some coaxing, if they have a relative in some other city, they ask you to send it to them!

El Nido, Philippines
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

BPI will put up a bank in El Nido soon, but until then, bring Cash. There are lots if travelers that miss the important information and assume.

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

I saw a post that First Consolidated Bank in El Nido has an ATM. Picture posted in 2011. Using google search, "bank in el nido philippines". Also, searched western union, this branch has a western union agent.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

visitors from the UK, OZ and NZ who have access to online banking can set up an account with orbitremit.com then have themselves listed as a payee and then send themselves some money online - the website explains how then go online to your own bank account and make a transfer to orbitremit ( in my case UK). Once you have made one transfer - and the first transfer is free - and you have them in your list of payees with your reference subsequent transfers are easy peasy.

Money takes a little over a day and the rates are better than moneychangers, a bit more better than ATM's and a lot better than WU.

Money can be collected from BDO or branches of MLhuiller or BDO which are all over the country inc EL Nido 1 Real St

www.mlhuillier.com/branches

There are other similar remit companies for different countries but once you have your account set up you can send money out to wherever you are. Although of main benefit to expats or OFW's (oversees foreign workers which consist of 10% of the Philippine working population there is no reason why visitors cannot set up an account. I set mine up when I was home In Puerto Galera so there is no reason provided you have the means to add a payee to your online banking accountto set up an account wherever you are.

You dont have to collect money from the same town or city

Edited: 31 March 2014, 21:48
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No ATM, No Bank in El Nido

@ Gary

There are Nil ATM machines in El Nido as of my last trip last year, and a recent trip by a friend this year. The nearest one was a good 3 hours by bus!

First consolidated has a branch in Amboy street, but I do not recollect them havign an ATM. I am not even sure if their ATMs accept non-FCB debit cards!