We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

So I will be flying into Manila mid January 2014 and out of Puerto Princesa mid February. I am backpacking solo on a tight budget so I need rather cheap accommodation, I'm a 20 year old female so places where I can mingle with other people, close enough to beaches, towns etc. would be great, but also a couple of nights where I can relax and enjoy being on my own will be good as well.

If any one could give me some recommendations it would be really appreciated, thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Check the 116 reviews most of which are very good:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g298450-d162…

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Melting Pot is a great place. Their main building tho only has dorms. If you need a private room, it is in a different building. It is a good place to meet other travelers.there is also another Backpacker place in Makati Ave area as well. Makati Boutique Hostel? Tommo, can you help me out? I forgot the name again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
1,966 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

sole2soultravel, it may be MNL Boutique Hostel:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g298450-d374…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

VL is right.

@ S2S happens at your age ;-)

Tommo

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

MNL Boutique Hostel looks like a winner, thanks. I prefer dorms to private rooms, especially for the first week or so :)

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Thank you VL and Tommo.

Age? What's that? ;)

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Elizakate,

Funky place. Owners are backpackers as well. Same as Melting Pot. The backpacker community is small in the Philippines and they know each other well. So if you stay in a place in Manila, they can recommend to you same kind of places in other places. Networking is the name of the game. ;)

18. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 08:05
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

eversosensible, thanks for the recommendation but I have already decided to go on my own and I know that it may not be the 'safest' thing to do but I am as prepared as one can be and I have quite a good idea about the 'dos and don'ts' in South East Asia.

I'd prefer to go by myself and allow myself to meet others there, whether that is the 'sensible' thing to do or not. I'd definitely only book for one or two days anyway because I would like to move around a bit on the islands/cities.

Thanks for the advice but unless there is another natural disaster and it's a couple WEEKS before I go I won't be postponing or re-routing. I have signed up for a volunteer program for my 11 days in Cebu so when I am accepted I will be helping alongside a large group of people to help repair damages. I think that is a lot better than waiting for them to pick themselves up and postponing to another time. Thanks again.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Places to stay in Manila, Cebu, Bohol, Palawan & El Nido

Eliza,

Thank you for being sensible about your decision.

There are a lot of trolls in these forums that should really just go back under the bridge! I have worked at backpacker places and have met A LOT of single white females who travel to the Philippines. And yes, be careful and all that but that is a precaution that you would take anywhere including your own hometown. I don't know why people always like to scare others. Sheesh.

Thank you for volunteering in Cebu. Appreciate that. Enjoy your stay in the Philippines.