We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food (local)

Which El Nido hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Food (local)

Just browsing through the restaurant list, most of them look a little bit too "fancy". What we are looking for are the very local cuisine.

Roasted chicken, grilled fish, squid, kebabs, etc... We just want the basic things. Give us lechon and hanging rice and we will be happy.

It really doesn't have to be a restaurant, in fact, it would be best that it is not so we can just bring the food to where we are staying.

I guess what I am asking is that, are there take out places moreso than a restaurant around El Nido? Perhaps even a centralized market/food area?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food (local)

Sea Slugs on the beach offers local food.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food (local)

@ Ryan

Most restaurants in El Nido (unfortunately, imho) have non Filipino food - with a strong leaning towards France. I found just one restaurant that had Filipino food - on the main street. Big servings, rice, etc. (they did not have lechon). Some friends told me of a few carinderias - but I did not see any in El Nido town. Perhaps near the public market close to the bus terminus...

I think this is a strong minus point for El Nido, and hope it gets addressed.

As for sea food (nothing local about that though...) most of the restaurants along Calle Hamma (starting at Sea slugs.. .working your way through upto La Salangane and Pura Vida) serve sea food - squids, fish, etc. But are all pricey compared to mainstream Manila or Bohol / Cebu / PP costs.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food (local)

@ Ryan

PS - El Nido is a more recently settled into town - even by Philippine standards. Most Filipinos who live here have stayed for barely 2-3 generations. You actually may find foreigners here who have lived in El Nido for as much time as Filipins domiciled in El Nido.

Hence El Nido per se itself is still forming it's culture (unlike, say PP or even Coron which have already been lived in for a hundred years). Hence " local food" is a term which El Nido is still trying to define. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Food (local)

-Yolo

That makes sense. With limited choices, we will make adjustments to our "food stops" on our other destinations.

Thank you!

Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food (local)

During your island hopping in el nido, you will somehow experience a little of filipino food. Grilled fish, grilled pork, crab, shrimp, tortang talong... but I dont remember a restaurant in el nido which specializes in local food. Maybe in Puerto princesa.

If you will be in metromanila, try banchetto or mercato. it is more of an overnight street food fiesta. Lot of choices and it is safe and clean compared to regular food sold on streets.

6. Re: Food (local)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 12:35
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food (local)

I went to a place which I thnk it is as close as you can get in El Nido.

http://wp.me/pBrCp-1JE

Scroll down to the middle of th post. There is a picture show IBR Fastfood.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food (local)

@MH

Interesting coincidence - IBR was the only place I found in El Nido which had passable reasonably priced food! (Anywhere else in Phils there would have been at least 5-20 such places!)

PS - your photos of Bulskamp inn are nice - wish I had chosen this instead of Lally and Abet!

Edited: 21 May 2014, 05:30
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food (local)

The costs if I remember right were between 80 to 130 pesos per dish - good for 2.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food (local)

Great that it's open 24 hours! We are arriving at night and will probably be hungry. The price also looks to be reasonably cheap.

We are only staying for 3 nights, so we will probably try Sea Slugs and Altrove just to see what the fuss is all about!