We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underground river

Athens,Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Underground river

Hello there,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to visit the underground river in the afternoon at like 14:00 or 15:00.

Also,how can we get there?

Thanks a lot,

John

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Underground river

The Underground River is certainly open in the afternoons - there might even be a wait. Numerous tour counters and lodging can get you a trip - the road is nearing completion so it's about 2 hours each way.

You also might choose to stay overnight in Sabang and go early in the morning when there is no wait. There are many bungalows and a public jeepney. I've never taken it so ask you lodging about that one.

Hope that helps.

Ling Yai

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,069 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underground river

A local will be able to correct me but when I was there, it didn't appear as if the public jeepney ran often: certainly no more than hourly, although as usual in Asia it seemed pretty much to leave when full.

cebu
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underground river

hi johnpan19,

you can visit the underground river in the afternoon but not after 5pm since bats will be coming out of the cave. the guide told us that as much as 60,000 bats come out from the cave. :)

if you're staying in puerto princesa, the travel time is usually between 2-2.5 hours. there are vans for hire that you can contact to drive you to Sabang. from Sabang, you need to take a 20min. boat ride that will take you to the entrance of St. Paul's Underground River.

Athens,Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Underground river

Thanks a lot for ur help.

We r arriving at the Puerto Princesa airport at 13:20.

How can we go to the river?

cebu
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underground river

our trip to the underground river was already arranged by the resort where we were staying.

however, you can hire a local van to take you there. if it would help, you can call this number (63)9289042203 and look for Kuya Bordz. he was our city driver and i guess he can assist you as well with the trip to the underground river. just tell him that you were referred by Kat from Cebu. the van rental to Sabang (underground river) is P3500 roundtrip.

Athens,Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Underground river

Well it is a bit too expensive for us unfortunately :(

We r on a tight budget :/

Can we go there by public transportation?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underground river

Hi John,

I'm also going to the underground river but I'm going to avail of the tour package of my hotel, it's around 1700 pesos (roughly around 35 usd) inclusive of transportation, entrance fees, and lunch. I think this is the normal rates of this tour and the price is reasonable.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underground river

Hi John,

I'm also going to the underground river but I'm going to avail of the tour package of my hotel, it's around 1700 pesos (roughly around 35 usd) inclusive of transportation, entrance fees, and lunch. I think this is the normal rates of this tour and the price is reasonable.

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underground river

Hello JohnPan19

Have you been to the Philippines before? - Parts are beautiful, relaxing and easy-going. As a result time keeping isn't a strong point, and transport systems are not always efficient. I suggest that you re-assess your itinerary as things do not run as smoothly as your itinerary requires. If your plane is due to land at 13.20 at Puerto I don't see how you can experience the underground river tour that day.

The flights into Puerto are not always reliable, in fact the last time I was there, one flight (with my wife on it!) was cancelled with no notice whatsoever.

You will also be waiting around to get your luggage at the airport, and if you are thinking of using public transport you could be waiting ages for the Jeepney to leave once you have found it.

You also have to wait around a bit in Sabang to get a boat to the entrance of the river, you then have to wait your turn to get another boat into the Cave.

If I were you, I'd spend a night in Puerto, relax and then go first thing the next morning to the Underground River - you'll be much less stressed and will have more realistic expectations.

I'd also suggest having another plan ready, just in case the weather is bad - the last time I went a storm washed some parts of the road away making it impassable to all vehicles except motorbikes for a short period.

Matt

cebu
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underground river

hi john,

sorry wasn't able to give you a feedback immediately w/ regards to your inquiry about taking a public transport.

most people going to the underground river either take the tour package or rents a van which serves as their public transport. since you've mentioned that you're on a tight budget and renting a van is a bit expensive for you, what i suggest is you take the tour package.

my friends and i recently visited puerto princesa (june13-16) and we availed of the tour package offered by the resort we where staying in puerto princesa.

the underground river tour was only at P1,500 per pax inclusive of lunch, transportation, entrance fees and boat transfers. the place we stayed at puerto princesa was at Dangkalan Resort. it is the only resort in puerto princesa that has its own beach front. :)

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Princesa