We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sabang Beach - day trips?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Sabang Beach - day trips?

I am looking at going to stay at Sabang beach for several nights (close to the Underground River), but am a little concerned that there is not much else do do from there.

Am I better to spend 7 nights in, say, Sheridan Resort and do day trips from there (can you do day trips to Honda Bay from there?), or spend 4 nights there, then 3 nights in Puerto Princesa and do day trips from there.

I like the idea of the Sheridan Resort - nice resort, pools beach, etc, but I also want to do some island hopping and travel to other beaches.

Any input is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Sabang Beach
Sabang Beach
260 Reviews
Palawan Island, Philippines
Puerto Princesa Underground River
Puerto Princesa...
4,961 Reviews
Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Sheridan Beach Resort...
939 Reviews
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

Hi,

You could start by reading my very LONG and detailed reports on Sabang, which will provide you with information on what else apart from the Underground River there is to do. Also there are links to photos. It may not all be relevant, as we prefer to stay and eat a little more "rustic" than the Sheridan.

Part 9: Manila to Sabang

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294255-i8273-k4…

Part 10: Sabang Day 2: Explore + Waterfall

Part 11: Sabang Day 3: Underground River

Part 12: Sabang Day 4: Mangrove Tour + Getting To El Nido

Apart from all the above, I would say that Sabang is not a great place to base yourself if you wish to explore other parts of Palawan, as it takes at least 1 and a half hours to get back to the main coast road, from where you would then head to other places.

Honda Bay is far better done as a day trip from PP.

Also if you wish to get to El Nido to do the island hopping, PP is a better base, although we made it from Sabang to there, fairly easily.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 14:18
Mentioned in this post
Sabang
Sabang
Sheridan Beach Resort...
939 Reviews
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Puerto Princesa...
4,961 Reviews
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
2. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 October 2011, 16:35
Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

Hi HK71,

You will not get better advice than the Trip Reports by infoaddict.

I think Honda Bay is under-rated, it is easy to get to from Puerto Princesa, and offers great beaches - look at Snake Island, for example.

Mentioned in this post
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

Thanks for the tips.

Definitely want to go to Honda Bay, but wondering if it can be done as a daytrip from Sabang Beach. I can't see any resorts/accommodation in Honda Bay (with the exception of Dos Palmas). Also wondering if there are beaches around Sabang that can be done by banka. Am sure we will have a good look around anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
Sabang Beach
Sabang Beach
260 Reviews
Sabang
Sabang
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

Day trip from Sabang to Honda Bay can be done but you will consume more time getting to Honda Bay starting point (of island hopping). Aside from that it will cost you more on vehicle rental.

Sabang Beach, despite its beauty, does not invite swimmers. It has plenty of itchy jellies at times of the year. The waves could get big.

If you want privacy, silence and seclusion, Sabang beach is fine except of the holiday crowd in the morning.

Also Sabang Beach is very crowded in the morning due to UG River day tripper. Sabang Beasch is the jump-off point to the river.

If you have time, you can trek to the River via way of Monkey Trail. If you are not experience trekker, dont do it. You may get lost along the way. However you can hire a guide but I have seen numbers of non-locals doing it on their own.

You can also explore the Sabang swamp by rowing boat. You have to have guides as sometimes snakes are seen hangging by the branches

In my opinion, its more easy to visit Honda Bay from Puerto Prinsesa - provided you havent been to the beaches of Elnido - in order not to have the opinion that Honda Bay beaches are overated.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 04:08
Mentioned in this post
Sabang
Sabang
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
Sabang Beach
Sabang Beach
260 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

If your idea of a vacation is a nice resort where you can just bum around and enjoy the view, then Sheridan's your place. From there, you can do the Underground River, monkey trail, Ugong Rock, and the Mangrove Paddle Tours since these are all in/around Sabang. Sheridan can book them for you.

If you wanted to do Honda Bay too, then yeah, maybe stay a couple nights in Puerto Princesa city since Sabang's two hours away in the other direction. from the city, you can also do the City Tour and Firefly Watching. Dunno what resorts there are either around Honda Bay but most people just go there on a day tour from their hotel in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Princesa...
4,961 Reviews
Ugong Rock
Ugong Rock
617 Reviews
Sabang
Sabang
Sheridan Beach Resort...
939 Reviews
Honda Bay
Honda Bay
1,835 Reviews
Puerto Princesa
Puerto Princesa
7. Re: Sabang Beach - day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Princesa