We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PP to El Nido

Which Puerto Princesa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PP to El Nido

I arrive in PP at 230pm on a monday. Is PP worth a night or to or should I make my way over to El Nido and then Coron. Is the Underground River worth the diversion ?

Should I want to head straight away which is the best way to reach El Nido ? do the minivans leave from the airport or just the roro bus ?

Many thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PP to El Nido

I thought the UR was definitely worth the diversion but I cant comment for you. Sabang is lovely. Some reports indicate that members were underwhelmed. Most love the experience.

Read the reviews to make up your own mind.

Tommo

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PP to El Nido

Hi, you are arriving pretty late in the day to want to be heading off to Sabang or El Nido straight away, and remember, your plane may be late, and once you land, it takes at least another 30 minutes before you actually exit the airport.

you will find the only way to get to Sabang at 3pm may be via a private van, but at least you will get there by 6pm, but if you intend going into the Cave the next day, i believe these days you need to buy your tickets in advance as they limit the number of people going in there each day, and then you have to go bck to Puerto Princesa to get a Bus up to El Nido.

From everything my wife and i had seen online about the Underground River before we arrived in Palawan last April, we decided against going there as part of our 11 day trip back in April, given all the other things we wanted to do as well, so it was not a priority for us, however on our next 4 week trip back to Palawan in Jan 2016 we will be going to Sabang for a couple of days before making our way up to the Port Barton region by Banca, following the coastline and stopping at all the nice beaches along the way.

If you decide to go direct to El Nido after you arrive, your best bet is to go direct to the Bus depot at San Jose and get the 4pm or 6pm RoRo Bus, but you will not arrive in El Nido until midnight or later, which may be a bit of a pain given you then have to find somewhere to stay.

If i was you, i would stay the night in Puerto Princesa, then get an early trike to the Bus Depot and go straight to El Nido and do what you need to do up there, then return to Puerto Princesa, and if you have 2 spare days, go over to Sabang.

You neglected to say if you have any accommodation booked at El Nido, or anywhere for that matter, and how long are you staying in Palawan for.

If you choose to stay the first night in Puerto Princesa, and you want somewhere nice to stay, may i recommend this beautiful place where we spent 2 nights at the end of our Palawan holiday.

http://www.bluelagoon.com.ph/

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294257-d357…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PP to El Nido

From El Nido, we went to Sabang and stayed there overnight.

We also stayed overnight at PP and here's my thoughts on those 2 places we stayed:

stepsonair.info/puerto-princesa-overnight-ac…

I was told by the person at the place that if you stay in SAbang they can organize the permits for you to get into the underground river. Which they easily did for us.

I was also looking at El Nido to Coron when planning our trip but chickened out when I found that its a 7-hour boat trip and the boat looks small.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PP to El Nido

@ Expat wife A there are quite a few threads on that 7+ hour boat trip on this forum. After reading them I opted not to do this journey and decided to fly back to Manila then from Manila to Coron. Initially I had booked a direct PP to Coron flight but that route was cancelled.

BTW Coron has equally stunning scenery and a must visit. You can always save this for a future trip and fly direct from Manila.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PP to El Nido

@Tommo, yeah, will just fly to Coron from Manila. Its in our list.

I am looking forward to see what is it like snorkeling in there as I read that it is beautiful.

6. Re: PP to El Nido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Princesa