We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

We are two families traveling to Cebu this weekend and staying in a resort on Mactan Island. We are looking for an easy day-trip off the resort which our 4 kids (ages 4, 5 and two 6 year olds) will enjoy as much as the grown-ups. Overall we want to have fun and see/do things, but not feel rushed at all.

I've done a little research on Bohol, but am not sure on a good itinerary. Can we fit in a trip to the Chocolate Hills, see some tarseirs, maybe take a rivier cruise and relax on a gorgeous beach (with food and drinks close-by)? I've also read about area waterfalls -- are there any which are an easy trek for younger kids, with perhaps some swimming? The kids also love any kind of marine-life, so is there any option for dolphin or whale watching?

Or maybe there is another island nearby Cebu that would be an easy trip.

Any advice is appreciated!

Bohol Divers Club Dive Center
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Oslob Whale Shark Watching
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips
Savedra Dive Center
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
AJ's Place Day Tours
Multi-day Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

Hello!

...You can be done with the sightseeing tour in half a day, have lunch while having the Loboc river cruise and then head off to Panglao for the r&r at the beach for a few hours before going back to Cebu. Very doable in a day. Very rushed tho.

...You can take banca cruise and go to Pandanon island. Nicer beach than the one in Mactan.

...There is also a park in Olango, for rides and such.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

As mentioned , you can catch the 7.30am ocean jet to tagbiliran, have a van operator meet you at the port when you arrive 9.15am roughly and get in all the above. Or take a 2 hour road trip to Kawasan falls, in Badian cebu, most young children can handle the 15 mins walk to the falls from the parking lot, though some may not. Good opportunity for swimming and paddling in the river and shallower pools, then take a trip to white beach near moalboal for the afternoon, before your return to Mactan

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

If you want those sightseeing activities in Bohol in a relax mode then a day trip is not enough... but of course they are doable just like what the other 2 posters said. Remember, the land area of Bohol is 3x larger than Bohol. You can't really "relax on a gorgeous beach (with food and drinks close-by)" with just a day trip as you will be concerned whether you will catch the last ferry to Cebu.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

You could easily spend several days touring Bohol. Fantastic location.Day trips can be organised by Bohol Travel Buddy.

Try Island Banca Cruises for Island Hopping from Mactaan.

A great day trip in Cebu is Kawasan Falls as mentioned previously. Highly recommended driver is Danny Noy. Do a search here to find his details.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

Agree with Tommo.

With kids, Island Banca Cruise may be a good choice but do not expect too much from it!

Another option is if you do not mind the long travelling hours and also I personally do not recommend it (I know it is contradicting), is the Oslob Whale Watching.

I recommend this is because your kids do not need to swim to sight the whales like in Donsol. However, it is also a good chance to tell them not to feed the whales or any wild animals.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

Thanks for the suggestions! We've decided to save Bohol for another trip since we only have one day to spend off the resort.

I've now read up on Island Banca Cruise and it sounds like the relaxing day we want, but Mouse - what do you mean by don't expect too much from it?

Is there another company that offers a better island hopping package? Ideally we'd like to see 2 or 3 islands, have a nice lunch and allow the kids to feed loads of fish and swim in calm waters.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

I found Island Banca good- beanbags toilets etc so a lot more luxurious than other island hopping bancas. Not sure what MH meant either but a great day out and a very professional company.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

Island Banca Cruise do have the best maintained bancas (outrigger boats) in Cebu. Renting a yacht would be the next best thing.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

What I mean is the cruise is nothing to shout about but it is indeed relaxing.

Snorkeling experience is poor to me as I have visited Coron and Balicasig.

Do try the seafood lunch at Cuyo and also try to do at least one island hopping.

As Keg as mentioned, those are the best maintained banca I have ever see in Philippines.

Read the reviews of this cruise and get a feel of it.

10. Re: Easy day-trip from Cebu/Mactan Island with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:17