We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visayas trip starting in cebu

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Visayas trip starting in cebu

Starting in Cebu I am looking to spend 5 days in a nice beach resort with my husband - I've read maybe Bohol is good for this but will i need another flight? or Siquijor? I also want to go swimming with whale sharks maybe 3 days for that down south of the island? Oslob? Is this achievable?

Where would be a good suggestion for a beach resort with out having to spend all our time travelling, the budget is under $2000 for the 8 days. I feel a bit lost as there are so many places that look amazing but I don't want to spread our time too thin.

Thank you so much for any help and guidance.

Cheers

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

@ itchy feet...

just a reminder... Cebu is the name of the city as well as the entire island / province (extending from Malapascua / Maya int e north, right upto the south)

If choosing to stay in Cebu city, do remember- it is a city and all beaches etc are a 30 minutes - 2 hours drive away. If you have any interest in Colonial Spanish structures, then it would be better for you to spend 1.5 days in Cebu and then shift to a place with beaches etc (Bohol - always a favourite for me, or Malapascua which is also a nice place), else spend all the 5 days in 2 close by but distinctly different palces.

My suggestion?

2 days in Nalusuan island (45 minutes bangka ride from Cebu mactan) - beautiful low water beach filled with starfish, excellent snorkelling

3 days in Bohol (Panglao island)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

I should have written Mactan Island Cebu, that's where we are spending 5 days, I found a good resort deal on the beach and I thought it would be a good alternative as I couldn't spend all my time on Panglao and our flight arrived late in the evening. I think a snorekling trip from Mactan, a morning down to oslob and exploring the city will keep us more than occupied.

As for the ferry back I know many people on here say if flying out of the airport in Cebu you shouldn't reply on the ferries and should get in the day before but we have a late flight around 630pm I think so I was planning to get a ferry around lunch time from Panglao back to cebu do you think this would be an issue - should we leave early in the morning to avoid dramas?

Thanks so much again for all the help I really appreciate it all!

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

Leave early in the morning to be safe.

I thought you said you wanted a nice beach? Resorts in Mactan are nice tho. Would prefer Bohol than Mactan for the whole trip. But that's just me.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

fast craft allocate 10minutes to arrive, unload and load passengers. as the day progress, any delays for different reasons can accumulate.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

If you want to leave Bohol on the same day as your flight, pray that the weather is good for the whole day.

I agree with Sole, I would prefer Bohol more than Mactan.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

I agree the beach at Bohol lots a lot nicer but the resort we wanted was unavailable so I'm happy to compromise time and chill at a nice resort for a few days with some great excursions. I'm nervous about the boat, fingers are crossed already. We'll leave early! Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

As for the ferry back I know many people on here say if flying out of the airport in Cebu you shouldn't reply on the ferries and should get in the day before but we have a late flight around 630pm I think so I was planning to get a ferry around lunch time from Panglao back to Cebu do you think this would be an issue - should we leave early in the morning to avoid dramas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be in Cebu City on the night before your flight. By the time you arrive at the pier in the morning to find that you boat is not running that day, it will be too late for alternatives.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

If you intend to leave the same day, all the boats leave early in the morning, check the schedule with ocean jet, 2go, weesam etc and make sure you have an alternative later boat. they mostly leave between 6.30am and 7.30am Tagbiliran to Cebu, piers 1 and 4.

I would agree with other contributors, Mactan not my first choice, but I hope you enjoy your stay

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

@Itchy feet...

Enjoy yourself. Hope you have a good time .....something tells me you will!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Visayas trip starting in cebu

Thank you everyone for your help. All is booked now and it's not too long until we leave so I will make sure I post a full trip report. Your help was invaluable one last thing (always is) if we plan to get an early ferry back to cebu then we are stuck there waiting hours until our flight any recommendations on a place to visit close to the air port (bags in tow?) or should we just hang out at the airport for the day? Maybe a hotel we could visit and at least get massages and lunch or do something fun so we don't feel like we've lost the day?