We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer in bohol - first time

Davao City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
summer in bohol - first time

My friends and I (about 4-6 of us) are planning a summer trip to Bohol for this April. This will be our first time travelling to Bohol and we're on a budget of around 10k each, including airfare. Half of us will be coming from Manila and the other half from Davao and we're just going to meet in Cebu and take a boat to Tagbilaran together. I looked at Weesam, SuperCat and OceanJet. Which one do you recommend? But if you can suggest a cheaper alternative from Cebu to Bohol, we're also interested in that.

We're wondering which resorts/hotels will fit our budget but will still be nice and secure. We want a beachfront hotel or a hotel that's just within walking distance of a clean, "swimmable" beach/ocean and also a hotel that's near eating establishments. We're staying for 3 nights-4 days, with 2 people per room. A house-type accomodation with two separate bedrooms and a kitchenette will also do because we're also interested in cooking our own food if a market is nearby.

I researched on the internet and found Polaris Beach and Dive Resort. Is this any good?

We're also interested in taking day tours to Bohol's tourist attractions. Out of all the beaches in Bohol, which one is best in your opinion?

Do you have any suggestions? How much would all of this cost? Is our budget enough?

Thanks in advance to anyone who will reply!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer in bohol - first time

Hello

Yes there are 2 cheaper ways from Cebu City to Tagbilaran.

1. Last time I checked, it was about P100 From Pier 3 in Cebu City to Tubigon on Bohol. From Tubigon, you catch a bus to Tagbilaran. There is no website. Just go to pier 3 and buy your ticket.

2. Transasia travels from Cebu City to Tagbilaran. Their website says, from P140

http://www.transasiashipping.com/index.html

I can see why you are flying to Cebu. It seems one of the cheapest methods of getting to Tagbilaran. It certainly seems the cheapest way for people coming from Manila. However, something for you to consider, coming from Davao.

- You can catch a bus to CDO then boat to Tagbilaran. Transasia travels from CDO to Tagbilaran.

- Another option for you is bus to Surigao City then Cokaliong Lines to Cebu City. I travelled from Surigao City to Cebu City in November. It is only P588 or something similar on Cokaliong.

http://www.cokaliongshipping.com

I have not stayed in a hotel on Bohol where you can cook but my experience, in general, in the Philippines is that eating out costs less than the extra cost to have a room with cooking facilities.

If you are happy to stay by the sea and swim in swimming pools, you could consider my favourite resort, the Bohol Tropics:

http://www.boholtropics.com

It's big advantage for you is that you will be walking distance to carendarias and other cheap eating places in Tagbilaran.

So long as you watch your spending and plan to spend most of your time relaxing, P10,000 should be enough. However, my suggestion is, if you have more cash, bring it just in case.

I hope this helps!

Regards: Jim

sibbick61@yahoo.com.au

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer in bohol - first time

Hi. I think your budget is fine, when I was there last month (also for 3nights & 4 days), my friends and I spent under 10K each -- inclusive of accommodations, flights, land transportation, tours and food. We didn't scrimp on food -- most of our meals were at the different resorts, so you may spend even less if you go to the more budget-friendly eateries.

Check out this thread for more info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294259-i9268-k964…

3. Re: summer in bohol - first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2007, 03:27
Davao City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: summer in bohol - first time

thank you guys for replying! :)

big jim: bohol tropics is definitely one of our options for accomodations. i saw the website and we all think that it's a really nice place. and since you said that it's near cariderias, that's really a big plus. i've read your travel log and enjoyed it so much. makes me more excited to go to bohol.

vanilla bean: that's so good to hear, that our budget is more than enough to make our stay in bohol memorable and comfortable. where did you stay?

travel partner: yup, we might take the direct cebu-tagbilaran fast ferry ride to save on time even if it is more expensive than taking the slower rides. after all, time is money as well. hahaha. :D

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: summer in bohol - first time

We stayed at Alona Tropical Resort -- I posted a review with pics on the site.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer in bohol - first time

Hi everyone!

I still have some questions:

1. Would a 10K per person budget suffice even on peak season? We (about 8 to 10) are planning to go to bohol by the the 29th of April. Would resort prices go up by then? We are planning to stay for 3 days and 2 nights at panglao + country side tours in Bohol and some in Cebu.. It's our first time..

2. Big Jim: Our flight is from Manila to Cebu, we are planning a city trip on Cebu also before going to Tagbilaran, would you have contacts to help us on transportation? And would you recommend that we stay a night at Cebu before going to Tagbilaran.. I'm not sure if accomodations are cheaper in Cebu or at Tagbilaran..

3. We are also planning to take a countryside trip in Bohol, to see the chocolate hills, tarsier and all, would you also recommend that we stay a night at Tagbilaran City or just go straight to our resort after the tour?

4. Vanilla Bean and Big Jim: can you send us all your contacts for transportation in Bohol and in Cebu if there are any. And also can you send contacts for Alona Tropical and BBC (we would like to reserve our accomodations directly so that it wud be cheaper)? And also boat contacts for snorkling and dolphin watching? Thanks!!! we hope to arrange evertyhing before we get there so that we wont have to worry..

divino.fernandez@gmail.com

Thank you so much guys for you help!

7. Re: summer in bohol - first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2007, 12:35
Davao City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: summer in bohol - first time

Big Jim: I've read that there's no beach near Bohol Tropics. Is this true? And do they accept online reservations even if we opt to pay when we get there?

Vanilla Bean: Thanks! I'll look into it. :) How did you pay for the rooms? When you got there or with a credit card?

Batchy: We might be going there the same time you are! I hope we fix our trips soon. :D It's such a hassle for a first timer. I don't know what to do. Hahaha.

For anyone: My friends and I are also considering Flower Garden Resort. Have any of you stayed there? Is it any good? Thanks!

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: summer in bohol - first time

Batchy,

I sent you an email of my contacts for Bohol. As for your question about prices, in the case of Alona Tropical, their prices in their brochure were constant throughout the year, except for the rainy season which had 10% lower rates.

Mayumi,

We reserved our room at Alona Tropical by email and we paid at the resort. They didn't ask us for a downpayment.

Davao City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: summer in bohol - first time

vanilla bean: can you also send me the email you sent batchy? my address is lorra.elena@gmail.com. thanks so much!

Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island