We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

fuji
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

Hi! I'm a preschool teacher/ paranoid mother of two small kids. It's my kids first time to travel by plane and visit a beach. I know there are lots of other places to see in Bohol but my girls are just fixated with the idea of spending 3 days in a beach...!

We will probably stay in Alona KEw...any news about the place? is it clean? is the resort all right for young kids?

if we went to Balicasag with my young kids what can they do there? I'm not sure if a 4 and 6 yr. old can snorkle? or can they?

Like a truckload of other people here, I apologize for my endless queries...! Just want everything to be as safe and fun for my little girls as possible.

Does anybody know anything about the really cheap rates resort called La Playa Blanca?

am i spending too much for rooms that we will barely be in?? Just thinking out loud.. but hoping some angel will help me out here. Thanks guys!

and 3 cheers for Vanilla Bean!!! (patient, really patient person!)

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

La Playa Blanca is one of the pioneering resorts that started 20 years ago along with Bohol Divers' Resort and Bohol Beach Club. sadly, it's no longer beachfront though. it's main building that got burned down is located at the beach but their cottages are located at the upper part of the resort so you still have to walk.

La Playa Blanca is located between Isis Bungalows and Lost Horizon.

fuji
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

thanks majuro! Aside from vanilla bean you have been a great help to me! I've read all the postings and i've learned a lot from you. Thanks a lot!

Not very paranoid about this trip anymore. I believe my family and I will have great time in Panglao! This forum is a Godsent! Live long and prosper!

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

Hi Yertle,

I just wanted to acknowledge your post. Thanks for the 3 cheers =) I'm assuming by "patient" you are referring to the endless request for Bohol contacts in the Bohol Info for First Timers thread. Hahaha! I guess not everyone has the time to go through the whole thread before asking a question. Oh well, as long as the post helps someone...

Anyway, enjoy your trip to Bohol. Oh and, if you girls can swim, I don't think they'll have a problem snorkeling as long as they are closely supervised. Don't forget to post a review and tell us about your trip.

Safe travels =)

Q.C.
Level Contributor
3 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

Hi!I just stayed in Alona Kew with my husband last week. We got the superior beachfront aircon room located at their 2-storey building since this was the only affordable(3,800/night)room available. The place looked new and clean (just "ok" clean and not immaculately clean).I think it's good enough for the price and it's just a few steps away from the beach.The only thing I dislike about the room is this funny smell like antique clothes.I guess their beds & pillows must have gotten wet and were not dried properly. As for the salty tap water, we solved this problem by requesting a pitcher of fresh water from their restaurant at least for toothbrushing. I haven't seen their cottage type rooms if they're any better. I guess they're older and I'm a bit paranoid about the cottage type rooms because I feel that the native material might be a good place for insects (i.e. cockroaches) to hide.

The resort's pool is nice and warm that we enjoyed swimming in it every night.

Their buffet breakfast is just ok. We had plain rice with tocino,bacon,dried fish,eggs and fruits. They also have bread, cheese,etc.

The nightly grill at the beachfront was kind of expensive compared to the other nearby restaurants. Alona Vida, which is a short walk away, has the same type of food but better quality and price.

For the beach, I suggest you bring aquasocks for the kids to make sure they don't step on sharp corals. Alona Palm's beachfront is wider and nicer but I think there are more corals there than Alona Kew's beachfront. The latter is the busiest part of Alona Beach since this is where boats dock. The beach here is narrow but white and powdery.

I'm a paranoid mom like you so I wouldn't suggest snorkeling at Balicasag Island for the kids. It's a really good experience for adults but with the sharp corals, sea urchins, stonefish and an underwater cliff, I wouldn't bring my kids there.

I hope you find my message helpful. Just remember that whatever resort you choose, don't feel guilty to splurge as long as you can afford it. After all, you're on a vacation and you should enjoy every minute of it. Enjoy!

fuji
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

Hi! Badidi! You know what we are staying at the very same place you wrote about!! How about that! I am speechless! I have been asking God to show me a sign that I made the right decision about Bohol and You guys have really been my angels!!

You're right.My family deserves a clean and safe place to stay in. Thanks for the advise about Balicasag. Did you go to the island of Balicasag?

I was thinking maybe my kids can stay on the island with some of our companions while we snorkle close by.

Thanks Vanilla Bean! will definitely have stories to tell after the trip! Carpe Diem!

Q.C.
Level Contributor
3 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

Yes, I've been to Balicasag after dolphin watching near Pamilacan Island. The island itself is rocky and the shore is full of corals. It's an interesting place to see. The place where you can go snorkeling is a marine sanctuary where only small boats (good for 3, I think) are allowed so you need to transfer to a smaller boat once you get to the island. Boat rental cost us 300 pesos plus rental of snorkels. After snorkeling, we walked over to Balicasag Island Dive Resort and had late breakfast there. The resort is very nice and your kids can probably stay there while you go snorkeling. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw a bit of a play area there. =>

7. Re: Hi! Any news about Alona Kew Resort???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island