We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaweed & sea urchins

Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
seaweed & sea urchins

hi all

my husband and i are thinking about going to bohol for a beach holiday in mid feb.

i read from some posts on both tripadvisor and other forums that sea urchins is very common at the alona beach. there are suggestions how to avoid them but it won't be as relaxing if we have to be careful for each step...

we are also thinking about bantaya but the 3-hour bus ride is a bit too much for our 5-day holiday. we do not want to spend too much time on traveling...

any suggestions? thanks in advance!!

Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

just to add...

a beach holiday to us means to sunbathe ourselves on the beach and soak ourselves in the sea when it's too hot. we do not like snorkeling nor diving.

thanks!!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

I personally have not had problems with sea urchins, or seaweed at Alona beach , though I am not saying there arent any, I have been in march august and september before, and never had to deal with this, if you are worried about sea urchins, wear some kind of water shoes, this can be advisable anywhere, I have known people cut their feet on broken glass on beaches before.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

I love Bohol.

Based on what you wrote and the two choices, Bantayan Island would be my suggestion.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

Anda beach has less sea urchins than Panglao.

If budget is not a concern, check Anda White. Otherwise, Flower Beach Resort.

This one involves a 5 hour ride but Sugar beach in Sipalay is wonderful. Only 5 resorts in the area. All good with great food.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

Hi,

I guess since you won't be snorkelling, you are concerned about sea urchins when swimming off the shallow waters.... right?

Some ways you can avoid them is...

a) wear rubber booties on your feet while swimming (you can rent them from the dive shops along alona beach)

b) the waters are clear enough to spot them... stay afloat / away from them

c) Don't walk in the parts with sea urchins

Sea urchins usually stay in waters at least 3 feet deep so ....

Also, if you do get pricked accidentally by one of them, just go immediately to one of the dive shops or bangka boat men - they will usually rub vinegar on it and this allows the injury to subside soon.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

how about going to plantation bay in Mactan Island Cebu? They have a big seawater lagoon aside from freshwater pool and a small beach front. You can swim in seawater without the fear of those natural living things in the sea.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

I have been to Alona beach several times and I haven't encounter those notorious sea urchins. The water is so clear that you would see what's on the bottom of the sea maybe up to 5 feet deep.

Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

thanks a lot for all your replies.

i suppose the problem with sea urchins is just regional then??

anyway i've seen some videos on youtube and the beach is full of seaweed and boats... i hope it's just the central area. coz i have to say those boats have really destroyed our fantasy... btw, the beach looks really narrow and not many ppl are in the water......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

I don't recall sea urchins during my visit about 3-4 years ago. Things may have changed or they could be seasonal. I stayed at Isis Bungalows and noticed at high tide the water came close to the resort. Also some rocks in the water. But at the far end (facing the water, to the left past the mini downtown of Alona Beach) the beach is wider, lots of sand and less rocky.

Here's a video in my blog at low tide, in the morning. You can see the water line doesn't go as far up the beach, not much rocks, more sand to lay on. No sea urchins, or little critters I came across.

…blogspot.ca/2009/07/nothing-like-morning-on…

Edited: 11 January 2013, 12:10
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seaweed & sea urchins

Catherine, for a quieter area, and more beach space, at Alona, choose either end of the beach, it is only 800m long, at one end past Genesis divers and peters house, you have a nice wide area, that is usually fairly quiet, at the other end past Bohol divers club, you have an area visited more by locals, there is also a small roped off sanctuary area, which makes it much safer for snorkeling as no boats allowed in this area. There are unfortunately a lot of dive boats at alona beach