We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Hi, is it possible to see both of the above islands in one week or is it best to stick to Bohol and if so which beach? We want a tropical unspoilt experience if at all possible. Ps, Coco Grove on Siquijor is fully booked so any other suggestions of places that are directly on a white beach near to good snorkelling that is easy for kids? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,782 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Yes you can do both in a week. You can get the fast ferry from Bohol to SIquijor via Dumuguete in a few hours.

Tommo

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Agree with above , yes in theory this is possible.However when I was there in January many boats were cancelled due to bad weather. The Philippines coast guard is very conservative and takes safety very seriously. Not sure when you are planning on going , but some ferries were also out of action then because they were helping with relief further north after Typhoon Hayan. The situation may be different by the time you get there.

You will have a wonderful time regardless of what you decide to do.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,232 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

As Ire123 mentioned, boats can be cancelled at any time. For this reason, never ever trust a boat to get you to a plane on time. So, if you were to do both in a week, do Siquijor first as you can still often fly when boats are cancelled and there is an airport in Tagbilaran Bohol with multiple flight options each day to Manila.

For Siquijor, you should be happy at Coral Cay. It is set on white sand and has a swimming pool and gym

http://www.coralcayresort.com

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Hi I wasn't impressed with the snorkelling at coco grove. You will have everything you need in Bohol and the snorkelling at white beach is excellent.

When we took a ferry to siquijor it was rough and quite alarming. If you are on a tight schedule, siquijor may not be the place for you as should there be a boat cancellation you could miss your flight.

Good luck

sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Hi, thanks so much for your replies. I think Matt1972 may be right and to just limit ourselves to the one island. I am going with 2 kids and the idea of cancelled boats plus cancelled flights (which I hear is also a frequent event) makes me sweat. We are going in early November and I believe the weather is hit and miss at this time of year. Any suggestions of great snorkelling off shore? Also in a week can we get around the island easy enough (ie Alona, Loboc and Anda?) How much is transport etc (we obviously won't be hiring motorbikes with kids). Thanks for your responses and ideas.

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Yes in a week you can do lots.

There are plenty of transport options, mainly using a car n driver. The price quoted id usually about php2500 but you can barter. We paid about 1900 for the full day by appearing to be uninterested in the touts. Your hotel could also sort it for you. November isn't peak season so you are in a strong position.

Btw November is a great time, it's quiet and the weather should be settled by then, touch wood.

We took our daughter on a boat trip to see the dolphins and she loved it. She also loved snorkelling on one of the boat tours. Take your own booties to save you hiring some.

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Good luck.

sheffield
Level Contributor
161 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Hi thanks for quick reply. Where did you stay and where was the off shore snorkelling? Have you been to other islands in Philippines? Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,782 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Balicasag Island easily reached by BNka via Alona Bgach offers fantastic snorkeling. Here is a list of some of the best snorkeling spots in Philippines.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k…

Tommo

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

As tommo mentioned balicasag is an amazing snorkelling location. Most of the boatmen or touts will take you just there or part of a day tour. Take some sky flakes to feed the fish.

There is also v good snorkelling at Alona beach. Depending on how strong a swimmer you are you can swim away from the boats and see a lot.

We've stayed ina few places- budget citadel alona, or with a pool vanilla sky.

Yea I've been to quite a few of the philippine islands- some lovely destinations.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,782 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you visit both Bohol and Siquijor easily in one week?

Oops just noticed my typo. Should be Banka.

On a smartphone in Langkawi and not my usual PC at home;)

Tommo

Edited: 27 April 2014, 09:06
Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island