We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone living near Manila or keeping up with the news can shed any light on the current Mayon Volcano situation? Should I be concerned about our impending arrival to Boracay in late March? Should we re-route to a different vacation destination?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

in fact, you should reroute - in order to witness the spewing of lava at night.

Alabang
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Hi Less

I think what Edwin means is that Mayon is causing a lot of tourism - local and foreign - to watch the lava flows (from a safe distance of course).

So to answer your query there should be no concern in your travel to Boracay in March. Historically speaking Mayon Volcano has not caused a major interrupption in flight skeds in the airports in the Philippines. Besides, Mayon is in the Bicol Region which is on the Eastern part of the country while Boracay is the Central part. Even when Mayon erupted 3 years back and 10 years ago, Boracay and most of the country was business as usual.

Bong

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

While watching lava flow from a volcano at night would actually be pretty awesome, I am not THAT adventurous:) I have heard great things about the beauty and splendor of Mayon, though.

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Watch CNN or BBC News: they know it maybe earlier if it blows as we do. At eruption of Pinatubo there was slight ashfall on the island. People woke up and thought snow has fallen overnight as everything was covered in a thin white ash.

However, the Mayon Vulcano is not only one of the most active volcanoes in the world, but a different type than the Pinatubo.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

the cloud of ash that travels for thousands of miles can create even more fantastic sunsets wherever you are if the ash follows you....this may be invisible to the naked eye but in the atmosphere, expect it to affect the sunsets in a wonderful way.......from a website..The finer dust particles remain aloft for years and spread around the world while the sulphur dioxide evolves to an aerosol of sulfur acids that add to the particulates.

The dust and aerosol produce vivid sunset and twilight effects like the intense yellow-red horizon and purple-pink glows of the photograph.

UK
Level Contributor
289 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Hiya Rho9

For the latest on Mayon, check the bulletins on the Philvolcs website.

Regards

Matt

Boracay Island...
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Go to http://www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph/ for the latest alert info.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayon_Volcano for some background.

That Wikipedia article is being updated daily. The info and inks in the "2009 activity" section are usually pretty current.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

Thanks for all the info! So far the reports are saying that Mayon volcano activity has calmed down for now. I'll be keeping my eye on it...

9. Re: Mayon Volcano Eruption?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:18