We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday help

Brisbane
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday help

Hi All,

I have been poking around the forum for a while now and wanted to get some previous travellers input into our holiday plan!

A family of 4 (kids 6 and 4) from Oz staying from the 6th of Nov for 1 week. (spending a week in Hong kong 1st)

Firstly re flights from Manila, is SEAIR the best to go with?? They seem to work best in with the times we want.

We are after acommodation - Our requirements are.. good large pool(this is all the kids care about!), a large room with 2 queens or an apartment style hotel room, close to the beach and within easy walking distance to most thing, but a place that is quiet at night, but close enough to a few restaurants! Our budget would Max 140US a night,

Also was wondering regarding food - what would be an average allowance each day. We wouldn't go upmarket and tend to avoid overpriced hotel food (although some hotels are reasonable)

And my husband wants to know how many massages hes allowed to have so can someone give me an idea of what that would cost??

We have spent time in Thailand,Vietnam and Malaysia so i guess if someone was to compare to phuket then i would know what you are talking about.

I have a good idea of activities to suit us but if you have any suggestions not on TA that would be great.

One last thing - at least one of u always seems to go down with something in Asia, can we anticipate this in Boroacay as well? Ie the bali belly or simialr? i am assuming since it is a lge tourist area that medical facilities r close by!

Thanks in advance, i am really excited to be planning this holiday!

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday help

Come on all you experts BUMP!!!

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday help

Marilynjoy: as you give so smart advise how to answer and how not to answer inquiries and also don't mind to answer all these questions which could easily checked up on this page - why don't you answer this time? Go ahaead

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday help

MelindaA: to the resorts for your family:

- Check Boracay Regency - the new wind = Garden Wing. This resort has 2 large pools, a decent breakfast buffet and is in the middle of the island.

- Another: Le Soleil, also the new wing and also with a pool.

Reviews can be found here in Tripadvisor Hotel reviews and for the location check: ttp://www.myboracayguide.com/beacheshotels.html

November is a nice month to make holidays on Boracay with stable weather, clean beach and sea and no events with loud music.

Seair is a good choice, but nowadays also Cebu Pacific (http://www.cebupacificair.com/) and Airphil Express (belongs to the Philippine airlines cionglomerate) (http://www.airphilexpress.com/) fly to Caticlan.

Leicester
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday help

We just had a four night stay in Tonglen Resort with our two daughters, age 10 & 8. Very comfortable rooms available with 2 queen size beds, no complaints about space from our two who don`t always like sharing.

Nice pool too, pretty good size and clean with enough shade. We booked direct and got breakfast included which was fine. In the evening there are loads of buffet dinners to choose from, generally at around 250 pesos per head. We chose a different one each night and were never dissappointed.

The only time I`ve had bad stomach problems in the Phil`s was from a well known fast food outlet when I was trying to play safe, bad idea.

Oliver, BC
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday help

We flew from Manila to Boracay a few years ago, and flew on Spirit Air. Domestic airlines within the Philippines seem to be a scary prospect, I would say stay away from the budget/ low cost airlines and all should be good.

The food prices are very reasonable, easily under $10 US per person for each meal. If your family likes spit roasted chicken, be sure to try ANDOK's. I believe they are located at Station Two, just off the main beach. They have locations all over the Philippines, I haven't been there for almost 3 years, but I still crave Andok's chcken!

Massages are soooo cheap, your husband will be able to have 2 or 3 a day if that's what he wants!! well under $20 US, I'm not a huge fan of massages, but those in our party that did indulge gave rave reviews! Massages and shopping for pearls were probably the favoured activities for those that we shared our 4 month Philippines stay with.

Medical facilities are a different story, outside of large metropolitan areas, health care is somewhat spotty, I would check with your hotel when you book, but make sure you take a supply of pepto-bismol and imodium with you regardless! Also, antacids are almost impossible to find in the Philippines, so it is a good idea to take a supply if anyone uses these.

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday help

Spottedrock: yes - your information is outdated. You flew on Asian Spirit and that is more than 2 years ago. Asian Spirit is now Zest Air. Also your input: "Domestic airlines within the Philippines seem to be a scary prospect, I would say stay away from the budget/ low cost airlines and all should be good". Today reowned airlines as Cebu Pacific and Philippine airlines fly to Caticlan - airlines with excellent track and security records, new airplanes and well trained pilots. There are no low cost/budget flights to Caticlan only flights which are cheaper or more expensive.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday help

Spottedrock thanks for the nostalgia....

Camas, Washington
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday help

flight: SeaAir, ZestAir, Cebu Pacific, all similar. Cebu Pacific and i think Air Philipphines are the only ones flying direct into caticlan (pls double check). we flew zestair and it was fine. just make sure you double and triple check your flight schedule because most airlines there have a tendency of canceling or changing flights without notice.

accomodation: we loved microtel hotel on diniwid beach. get the double seaview room, has 2 queens, enough space, balcony, faces the pool and beach front. very quiet, very nice. it's not on white beach, but the hotel has a free shuttle that runs back and forth twice per hour, worked out great for us. you do need to call ahead as it doesn't run if no one needs a ride.

food: tons of good restaurants along white beach with all kinds of choices. d'mall is the center of all action. if you like seafood, stop at d'talipapa seafood market, you buy it, they cook it, yum!

boracay is in a lot of ways similar to phuket, touristy, busy, vendors everywhere. but we liked it a lot better because the beach is definitely the best of the best, the vendors hardly bother people on the beach (only massages and fruit sellers allowed there).

puka beach is great for kids, lots of shells to pick or buy.

bring some imodium type of medicine with you, just in case. one of us got upset stomach on the way home i think from a milkshake, could be the milk that was used...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday help

airline info is wrong mjmjj..and microtell is okay, but its secleded in terms of getting to white beach exp. with kids in tow..

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday help

I'll second the recommendation for Tonglen. It is affordable and centrally located without being noisy.

Don't necessarily trust those fast food joints. I caught a nasty dose of food poisoning from a well known chicken chain restaurant in Boracay. It is greasy, poor quality stuff and I should have known better than to eat it in the first place!