We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brownouts in Boracay

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
travelling
Level Contributor
384 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Brownouts in Boracay

OK, not trying to whinge and whine, but any idea why so many power outages in Boracay recently? It was pretty good over summer but now it goes off once or twice every day, at least where I live. Any updates?

jonnybora
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

i have been thinking the same. Also has anyone noticed the water has been rubbish for the last couple of weeks. We live on a small hill so have to have a tank and pressure pump, but yesterday we had no water all day and only got some about 4.30am this morning.

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

The Akelco (power distributor) Boracay office is centrally located: above Metro Bank. The manager for the Boracay area, Nerly, is a very nice lady and can help you with more insider information

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,255 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

I understand some of the power problems have been related to generation and has affected the mainland back to Kalibo as well. When you live on an island, don't expect big city ease of power or water. I think power problems on boracay will be life long as they do NOT have their own generation. When I was recently on island, I was told the drought, dry conditions have added to the water problems...seasonal thing. Keep your big buckets full for the low water periods.

jonnybora
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

leftover, i dont expect city water/power as i realiese i live in a 3rd world country and on an island. But i would understand more say if i lived in carabao/tablas but isnt this meant to be world class resort?Thats what they try and advertise it as, but it carnt be that world class if theres no water.

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

Jonnyboracy - what's your point? Brownouts are a fact of life in the Philippines. Even in Manila and Cebu City you have them. Akelco is doing so far a good job and the power situation on the island of Boracay has improved a lot in compare to even 3 years ago. More improvements are expected towards the end of this year and also a higher charge. Electricity charges are half as much as for example in Manila.

jonnybora
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

the point i was making wasnt about power but about water. Can live without power but not water. Its only the last couple of weeks that its got bad, no water in the day.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,255 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

yes agreed...and now the big push is to throw Manila water off the island...how about those eggs as they do not come into compliance it is said..well maybe not to exactly push them off, but there is a group behind complaints against them for not having a Certificate of Public Convenience ..which I understand means they cant sell water or run a sewerage system...Manila Walter has a big family behind it so I don't think there is any real problem..but they have done much to improve things on the island..well I guess even big family's and related businesses must follow the law...but does anyone think they can do it better..My husband said this was on the news in MANILA..any feed back on this would be interesting.and appreciated...

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

The problem with low water pressure at peak times is simple: too many consumers, too small pipes and not enough pressure. BWIC is working on that. You may have noticed their work (laying new water pipes) along the main road. Once these new pipes work, problems will be over: strong water pressure again. The fresh water distribution system was not made for that amount of consumers we have today. Same with the sewage system and sewage treatment plant.

And BWIC operates not only a sewage system, but also a fresh water system, both constructed, operated and paid by by PTA through a government loan. BWIC or Manila Water went into cooperation with PTA: they manage 80% of both systems and infuse a substantial amount of money for improvements. They also introduced a sewage fee for every fresh water consumer, which is a world wide standard operation procedure: what comes in must go out.

Maybe the additional fee angered some people and others are jealous and want to go also into that business. Legally there is no problem for BWIC with the National Water Resources Board. This government agency is anyway a stop over to more lucrative jobs within the government, a kind of wanting shed for aspiring political allies.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

Yes it is bad at the moment. There are brownouts almost every day and night of varying durations, sometimes an hour, sometimes all day.

This island is being touted as the 'top tourist destination' in the Philippines and earns an absolute fortune in taxes every year so the excuse that it is a third world country doesn't really carry much weight.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brownouts in Boracay

Yet another big one. Those of us without generators spent the entire night sweating in the dark last night!