We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

I'm heading back to Boracay after skipping a trip this year, so I revisited the hotel reviews today and clicked on a couple of newcomers to the "top rated" list. I found that of all the reviews of the current #2 hotel, Boracay Beach Club,more than 50% are from "one hit wonders". At first I was just randomly reading the reviews, but I started to notice that many of them sounded alike. Is it just me or does anyone else think these are fake?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

take this up with TRIP ADVISOR..they have a format for such complaints...its hard to replicate reviews as you have to use ISP addresses that differ, different locations etc..but bring this to TRIP ADVISOR attention, they will look into it.....where will you stay..

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

You didn't answer my question, but thanks anyway :-)

I'm still deciding where to stay this time. I stayed on the southern end of station 3 once, but have stayed more times in the station 1 area in my recent visits. Maybe it's time to head back to station 3.......

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

vsnills_bean

I respect your opinion as clearly you are a constructive and knowledgeable TA member.

I examined about 20 of the reviews. You are correct in that many are from one hit wonders.

However I could not see a clear pattern, alothough the latest two highly complimentary reviews from Australians looked a bit suspicious.

The dead giveaway is often when the minor choices (sleep quality and the like) are all ranked five out of five repeatedly.

This one is a hard one to decide upon and unfortunately after my sampling I do not have an opinion one way or the other. As leftovertoo suggests, by all means complain to TA as you are far from a time-waster.

It is most important that all TA 'regulars' try to minimise or preferably eliminate any 'gaming' of TA rankings by individual hotels or restaurants. Thank you, vanilla-bean for obviously caring about this.

Edited: 21 December 2010, 08:22
Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

Thanks for your input Victorianlad.

I counted around 70 reviews from one hit wonders -- some aren't obvious because the number of contributions that show up beside their username isn't always 1. Sometimes it's a higher number, for example 6, however when you click on the profile, it shows 1 review and 5 photos, hence a total of 6 contributions.

A few mentioned how they've traveled a lot and stayed in many places, however I found it strange that they've so far only chosen to review 1 hotel. Other than that, the writing style of many of the reviews seemed very similar, in fact one reviewer mentions this. Anyway, I shall take it up with TA, although I don't know if they'll do anything about it.

Cheers and Happy Holidays :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,233 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

I also looked at the reviews and couldnt see a clear writing style that was similar so I agree with Victorianlad that I would give these reviews the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the hotel is encouraging non members to write a review hence many 1 reviewers that may not post again.

Its great that this was picked up and it is benefitial to have this debate. Perhaps someone who has stayed at this hotel could verify if the opinions in these reviews are relective of this establishment.

Tommo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

well look at the number one rated guest hotel...they have more than 300 reviews...some sound alike also.....but I dont see how people from all over the world can comment and be the same person..fraud filters will prevent that..yes , bring it up to TA for sure....

U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

Maybe some of the reviews are quid pro quo or motivated and incentivized in some way.. i can tell you that at least two resort owners have told me that many of the reviews are not honest legit postings.

Last time i was posting here i made very strong and positive comments about shagnri-la, specifically their restaurant and had considered the reviews. Shortly, i will post a REAL review of the Shangri-la and its restaurant and believe me i must apologetically negate everything i had previously posted.. So to all i debated on this..i apologize..never could i have been so Wrong !~!~! those restaurant reviews are not for real in my opinion as they are included in reviews of the resort. I would not spend a single dime in that place even if it was not my treat...

Thomas

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

I am a bit suspicious with many of the reviews but I am not that convinced that they are fake. Only TripAdvisor would know if they all came from one ISP address or whatever technical tool that they have.

My sister and her friends stayed at Boracay Beach Club just this year and she just told me this minute that she gives that resort a rating of 9 out of 10 and even enjoyed more their stay there than the current #1 so I think it deserves a high rating (at least I believe my sister as she has been to Boracay more often than me).

Edited: 21 December 2010, 13:29
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

Vanilla-bean, it really depends what you require from your vacation. If, like me, you don't like crowds and noise pollution, station 3 or Angol area would be a good place to stay.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New "top rated" hotel in Boracay. Fake reviews...?

Sometimes the fake reviews are easy to spot, some are very cleverly disguised. Trip adviser do try to weed them out but it is impossible to identify them all.