We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Hi, I'm looking at booking my flights from Manila to Boracay (return) with Philippine air and I just want to ask a question about picking up our connecting international flight to Kuala Lumper with Malaysian Airlines. I believe both airlines are based in Terminal 2.

Anyway I have two options;

1. Arrive Manila at 11.20am which allows us 3hrs 45min prior to our next flight - I'd prefer to not have to sit in an airport for this amount of time or is there plently to see and do to keep us entertained (travelling with a 4 and a half yr old)

2. Arrive Manila at 12.50pm which allows us on 2hrs 15min prior to our next flight. Malaysian Airlines check in policy is it closes 60 min prior to flight.

Do Philippine Airlines have a good reputation for leaving on time or should I not risk it? Does it take long to collect luggage after the Boracay flight?

I would value everyone's feedback.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

To my knowledge and last time in and out of the airport:

Terminal 1 is for all international airlines, including MAS

Terminal 2 is for Philippine Airlines only

Terminal 3 is Cebu Pacific, Air Philippines Express (subsidiary of PAL), ANA

Terminal 4 is Zestair and Seair

Your Boracay flight, is it Philippine or Air Philippines Express? Since you're switching terminals, I think it's best to stay put due to unpredictable traffic out of the airport.

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

First make sure what you're flying: Philippine airlines from Kalibo to Manila? Then you would disembark @ Terminal 2.

Is it Air Phil Express from Caticlan to Manila - then you would disembark at Terminal 3.

In both cases you have to transfer to terminal 1. so you're time between flights is not only waiting time, but also includes transfer time and check in time.

Option 1 with a little more than 3 hours is just fine. Gives you ample transfer and check in time and as well some spare time.

Air Phil Express flies often on time. But you can never exclude delays, which are out of control of airlines as weather or congestion.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,305 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Go with option 1 but if I were in your shoes I would arrive in Manila a day prior to my Malaysia Airlines flight as a 2-hour or more delay with my Boracay flight would give me plenty of headaches.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Like kegler747, I would book a nighj in Manilat through a good site such www.asiatravel.com (which has 'Crazy Rates' for Makati and Manila that are good value at New World Hotel and H2O Hotel respectively.

Yes, it may be a little inconvenient but it is preferable to having to inform the international airline that you missed its flight: they may charge you a lot to travel next day if there are seats left.

shanghai
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Or you can check in mariott hotel near the airport better to go on-line directly this is the most convient hotel for staying in manila overnight,very good,clean and organize hotel.anywere in makati or somewhere else is not convient specially when you have kids aor early flight

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

get an early flight that day you will be okay...but for insurance..get flight the day before..but not necessary..many do not do that...I think I would though

Dont be fooled by this agent www.asiatravel.com who adds 23%...look at places on your own...and then go back to compare with agents...

Edited: 14 July 2011, 04:24
Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

Relax leftovertoo: you do not really have to comment to each single post, repeating yourself over and over again, isn't-it? This already two month old.

Relax -

8. Re: Flight with Philippine Airlines connecting to Malaysian Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2012, 05:15