We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Topic
Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

BORACAY, Aklan—President Benigno Aquino III on Saturday led the inauguration of the first phase of the improved Godofredo P. Ramos Airport in Barangay (village) Caticlan, Aklan, the gateway to the world-famous island resort of Boracay.

The President admitted that he had never actually been to the country’s most popular tourist destination. He took a helicopter to Boracay for lunch with officials at one of the resorts but declined an invitation to relax for a night there, saying he had to hurry back to Manila to check on the flooding spawned by Tropical Depression “Falcon”.

“At long last I have personally seen the island of Boracay. Before, I’d only seen it in pictures of my mother (the late former President Corazon Aquino) who came to visit about 24 years ago,” President Aquino said in his speech during the inauguration of the refurbished airport.

The development of the airport, which is expected to boost tourism, is being undertaken by the San Miguel Corp.(SMC)-owned TransAire Development Holdings Inc. under a build operate-transfer (BOT) plan with a 25-year concession period, renewable for another 25 years.

First private regional airport

It will be the first privately operated regional airport in the country.

Ramon Ang, SMC president and chief executive officer, told reporters that the total cost of the project would be around P12.9 billion ($300 million) and it is expected to be finished in two years.

The airport now also boasts a new air-conditioned terminal, with new X-ray scanners, computerized check-in counters and a high-tech baggage carousel. It also has an ambulance and a firetruck of its own.

Mr. Aquino said he expects three million tourists a year to visit Boracay when the expansion, which includes night landing facilities, is completed in 2015.

The project involves the development and expansion of the existing airport, including improvement of the terminal building, extension of the runway, widening of landing facilities, and the construction of a new passenger building.

Night landing facilities

Mr. Aquino said the installation of night landing facilities will likely boost traffic by 30 percent. The airport currently caters to at least four airlines with from 30 to 50 incoming and outgoing flights daily.

A 5,000-room hotel, a 25,000-seat convention center and a shopping mall are also planned for the airport complex.

“This is a big boost for Boracay and Aklan because more and bigger planes can land here,” Aklan Governor Carlilto Marquez told reporters on the sidelines of the inauguration ceremony.

Marquez said Boracay currently draws about 700,000 visitors annually and that he expects this to climb to one million by 2013.

Mr. Aquino said the Caticlan airport was a concrete example of the good results of the partnership between the government and the private sector.

He said the government would also be inviting bids for the development of the airports in Bohol, Daraga and Puerto Princesa—also popular tourist destinations.

In a lighter vein, President Aquino said he looked forward to a vacation in Boracay in 2016, after the end of his term.

“If we book now, can I go on vacation in 2016? Will the discount be substantial if I book now?” he said.

source: …inquirer.net/18106/aquino-pays-1st-visit-to…

korea
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

sounds very cool indeed...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,090 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

The involvement of San Miguel Corporation is a huge plus.

Like another Filipino long-established company, Ayala (Land), San Mig has a well deserved reputation for quality. One only has to sip its beers to know that.

That notwithstanding, a 5,000 room hotel (presumably at the Caticlan Airport not on Boracay) seems extremely ambitious.

Similarly, it will take a few years for Boracay visitation to reach anything near three million.

Replacing the antiquated long banca boats with wider vessels for the short Caticlan - Boracay Island ferry crossing would be a good start. Anyone who is disabled must have great difficulty clambering down the narrow gangplank of the current ferries. Of course some resorts offer private transfers in other boats (including the occasional speedboat) but for the general public, the narrow bancas are outmoded (as well as having a low capacity).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

Where did he eat...

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,653 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

Nice!

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

I think the planned 5,000 room hotel and mall complex will be built at the 16 hec. property San Miguel bought adjacent to the airport. SMC is also set to develop a 25hec beachfront property it owns which is adjacent to the Shang. The 3 million mark does seem quite ambitious but is achievable with the proper support infrastructure, facilities and of course marketing. The next phase involves extending the runway from 975m to 2,100m so it can accommodate small jets e.g. A319/320 and a larger passenger terminal all set to be completed by 2014.

It's about time the local government take advantage of the huge potential of the mainland (Aklan) given the popularity of Boracay. Driving along the scenic coast approaching Caticlan from Kalibo a few years back, I can just imagine a host of auxiliary attractions that can be built on the mainland (hotels, theme parks, water parks, spas, etc.) even a cable car across the channel. That's if it doesn't do any harm to the environment of course. I just hope they don't plan on cramming all the 3 million visitors in Boracay island alone. Otherwise, you can only imagine how it would be like.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

The 5000 room hotel is a way to meet and keep the gambling initiative alive and off of Boracay....to meet the needs of many and opposition is expected to be minimal if not actually on the island..this will boost that area as well as there is NO tourism there now...

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

Gambling is already alive and well in Boracay, despite what they say!

Larger planes landing in caticlan could be a real nuisance in terms of noise pollution. has anyone considered the decibel levels that we would experience here on the island from big planes flying over?

As for cable cars, I'm no engineer but whoever thought that one up obviously hasn't thought it through!

Aside from the ridiculous cost of building them , you'd need a team of skilled (probably foreign) engineers on hand at all time in case of malfunction. If the cable car breaks down midway across the channel with passengers inside, have they considered how on earth they would get them out? Where will they find a skilled rescue team in case of accident? Where will they get expensive imported parts if repairs are needed? It could take weeks for an order to arrive from Europe or wherever!

In case of strong typhoon, the cable cars would likely be blown into the sea. In case of even moderate winds they would be inoperable or dangerous to run...

It would be a far better and more reasonable use of the money to invest in some comfortable, safe and decent boats between Caticlan and Boracay.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

No big deal with the cable car sirenna. As mentioned, it was just an imagination and I'm quite aware that it's too far fetched to ever be built geez. I'm no engineer either but it is possible having ridden the Ngong Ping 360 cable car in Hong Kong a couple of times. That's 5.7kms. over a large bay and up some mountains with amazing views. I'm sure they don't operate though when there's a typhoon. Then again, we're not HK and we don't have their money, so I'll just imagine.

As for the jets, I know what you mean but I think that's inevitable once they're done extending the runway. Other than hoping for cool jet mufflers in the future, I think the best way to address this is to declare a no-fly zone above the island and indicate a flight path away from the island. Again, just a thought.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 16:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
560 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

Victorialand, the Fast Ferry would accomodate most disabled travellers. I agree, the banca boats would be scary for a disabled person

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boracay (Caticlan) Airport update

San Miguels property on Boracay is not beachfront, two resorts have already license for gambling on the island with more applications pending.

3 million visitors may be nice, but Boracay Island, resp. it's infrastructure, cannot even take the 700,000 coming right now. Projects to enhance infrastructure are not in sight, and the few projects started are stuck halfway with all money disappeared.

Last but not least will the airport fee in Caticlan go up to 500 Peso!