We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more Sand Castles

4 posts
Save Topic
No more Sand Castles

First day of my come back to bora after several years. Having a night walk along the beach. Noticed that something is missing. NO MORE SAND CASTLES. I learned that local authorities are imposing P1500 permit fee to build one. How would the children pay or that? That is just the stup**est thing.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No more Sand Castles

What? You need to pay P1500 for building a sand castle? This also applies to kids?

Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No more Sand Castles

What a pity.

What;s happening?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No more Sand Castles

One word maybe. Greed?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No more Sand Castles

Its called Boracay..not Bora as locals prefer that. Sand Castles were outlawed by the mayor, even kids with family playing in sand have been scolded. ITs not greed, its stupidity.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,298 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No more Sand Castles

I have to say that it's both greed and stupidity.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No more Sand Castles

If I recall, they outlawed the building of sand castles to protect the sand from too much disturbance. How this will cause sand quality/quantity loss, is beyond me, that makes this rule stupid. But if they start charging for every sand castle built, then that is greed.

I am going to Boracay this December for the holidays. So if I decide to make my own sand castle, no matter how small or crude it will be, will someone approach me and give me a statement of account billing me for it? If they do that, someone's getting at least a middle finger from both my hands.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No more Sand Castles

I looked into this a fair bit. Experts on the matter have informed me that the building of sandcastles in no way causes sand erosion. Those who claimed that it does have been able to provide no evidence to support their claim. Building sandcastles on beaches is not an uncommon activity throughout the rest of the world, and if it was damaging to those beaches, others would have publicised this by now!

Other things are far more damaging to the environment - building sea walls, for example, is proven to cause sand erosion. Building on the wetlcands is damaging to the environment. Things like smoke-belching tricycles are also damaging to the environment. These things are openly permitted in Boracay!

Tourists have been reprimanded for building sandcastles, even little kids have stood by in shock as a local official comes racing up on an ATV on the beach (far more damaging to the environment!) and kicks down their little sandcastle in front of them. Yes, greed and stupidity.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No more Sand Castles

Yes it's boracay. Wrong of me to cut it short to just 'bora'.

Back to the issue. It's just really frustrating. Boracay sands is just unique for it's cohesion when wet. Thus allowing the castles to be built with more details. Now i have to spend 3 more nights here without them. I come here often and it's just not right. A sunset walk without the sand castles greatly affect the scene as well as the culture.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No more Sand Castles

watch for the golf cart on the beach trail...he is the sand castle police...

BKK
Level Contributor
601 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No more Sand Castles

Three comments.

1. I saw plenty of kids building sand castles these last few days....small ones that say things like Boracay October 25.

2. I saw the police cause a big todo one night....driving up in their van with flashing lights, etc and got 2 stories....drugs and sand being taken from the beach. May have even been about sand castles.

3. They didn't outlaw digging big holes and burying your fiend in the hole. Seems no different than building a sand castle to me.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay