We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,841 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

Boracay has been dislodged as a runner up in the 2012 list of TripAdvisor for the Best Beach Destinations in the World. Boracay is now ranked 6th but it maintained the #1 spot in Asia.

Here's the complete list --> tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Beaches-cDes…

Edited: 08 March 2012, 05:28
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

Still great news for the Philippines.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

If we will to throw all the 7107 beaches to TA, I bet Philippines can easily fill in at least 5 slots within the 10.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

My take is that though Boracay does seem to get a lot of visitors, it may pale in comparison to the volume of visitors going to beaches in the US, Caribbean and Mexico. Since Tripadvisor is based in the US and affiliated with Expedia, I have the impression that a significant number of raters are from the US. The reason why it made #2 last year is probably due to the downturn in the US economy in recent years thus resulting to fewer travelers. I dunno, I'm probably wrong and just trying to find a suitable justification on why Boracay fell a few notches. Perhaps I'm just sourgraping haha.

I'm still happy that it's still tops in Asia though and the only Asian beach in the top 25. Which by the way I also find a bit surprising that some of the usual placers were left out this time.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,841 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

I am a member of TA for a few years now and haven't yet participated in any of their surveys regarding the search of best this and best that. I am shy to ask before and I will admit that I don't know how to participate in these surveys ;-) I would love to vote next time, maybe someone here can enlighten me.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

Same here keg. Just out of curiosity, how are these surveys conducted?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

maybe its because or real things..Boracay construction and development along with environmental concerns have mitigated much that separates it from other places. Its not the unspoiled paradise it once was and can not compete against others that are. Hey, its #6, that is not too shabby :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

one asian beach in the top 25 shows what a joke these lists are. st pete beach at #5 lol, now thats funny...

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

Best beach based on what criteria? Don't get me wrong, I love Boracay but i think there are better beaches in the Philippines and mainland Asia.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

sirenna,

So which beach in Philippines do you think is better than Boracay?

U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beaches in the World 2012: Boracay

St Pete beach in Florida is ok but is no where near as nice as Clearwater beach , just a few miles north..Curious that Clearwater was omitted, a world class beach, white sand, beautiful water..

Get answers to your questions about Boracay
Recent Conversations