We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

I know this is a great hotel and a wonderful place to stay, but I have seen superb 5 star hotels for years and never have seen so many reviews in such a short time as Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa has. I am having a hard time believing them or NOT believing that some incentive or other such thing has been offered. I looked at all the top rated hotels in the Philippines and other places and none receive so many reviews in such a short time. Usually guests who spend that much money, expect a great hotel and tend to write reviews less NOT MORE than guests who stay at smaller hotels . I am not undermining what they offer, but wonder if some other element comes into play on how they get these reviews. Any feedback is appreciated, especially if you stayed there. .

Edited: 28 March 2012, 13:34
Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

@leftover...I do see your point. Checking at least on the reviewers and their profile on the first two pages though, most seem to be well travelled individuals. I dunno perhaps their experience was just that good to compel them to write a review. Dave's Straw Hat has about the same frequency of reviews as well.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 13:54
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

Hmmm I just browsed through the reviews. It's hard to tell whether the reviews from the Philippines are legit or not. It's possible that Shangrila sent out invites to bloggers which we have had a lot of in recent years. Food bloggers and travel bloggers alike. If this is the case then it will fall under a gray area whether how legit the reviews are.

What I found disturbing is the most recent review about the scuba diving and food poisoning incident. This is probably something all 5-star resorts in the Philippines should learn from. Somehow I feel the level of service in the Philippines is still not at par with places like Bora-Bora. During my last trip to Boracay I stayed at Discovery Shores and had lunch at Shangrila Boracay. Service was great in Philippine standards but I'm sure it can still better specially during special cases like this. It is during these special circumstances that real world-class resorts are distinguished from wanna-be's. I am very disappointed with Shangrila Boracay management's handling of the incident.

On the other hand, it's been many years since my stay in El Nido Resorts but I will not forget how terrific their service was even when compared to Discovery Shores. It was simply an unforgettable experience. I hope they still provide the same kind of service years ago.

With the influx of new world-class resorts in the country I hope they all strive to meet the standards set by resorts in Bali, Maldives and Bora-Bora. Unfortunately for me the closest benchmark I have is Shangrila Tanjung Aru in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

I think Shangri-la Boracay deserves its spot on the reviews section here in TA so I believe the reviews whether there's just 10, 100 or 1,000 reviews. It's sister resort in Kota Kinabalu called Shangri-la Rasa Ria Resort is also the best rated hotel (sometimes 2nd best) in all of hotels/resorts in Kota Kinabalu and if I would compare the 2 resorts then I would say Boracay Shangri-la wins by a mile.

For those doubting the reviews here in TA you may read other reviews at Agoda.com, Asiatravel.com, Booking.com etc. to confirm whether a hotel is good or bad. In able for someone to post a review in other web sites like Agoda and Booking you need to book and pay for your accommodation first. By the looks of it, Shangri-la Boracay is among the Top 3 hotels in the island according to other review web sites.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

companies like O'Desk are paid to do this vary thing, provide hits on sites create phantom users etc. If Shang in another location is doing the same thing they would be up top as well. People who stay at 5 star hotels do NOT do reviews for the most part unless their is an incentive, which is against the rule of TA. Look at 5 star hotels in other places and you will see the same thing, lack of reviews. The sites that Keg mention do not list all hotels on Boracay, only those who pay commissions to them, so its not easy to compare those sites to TA. TA is open to all hotels, the good, the bad and the ugly, not just those who pay.

Its just my thought that something is going on behind the scenes, with that said, I am not saying its not a nice place.The other thing their reviews all sound alike for the most part. Same wording, not much diversion in though and quality of and use of English is the same.

Of course some reviewers are for sure real. I looked at the hotel 2nd on the list and see some of the same issues.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 16:29
U>S>A>
Level Contributor
500 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

Writers have a fingerprint leftovertoo and when you read these one could easily conclude most are at least written by same hand... Legit in that the person exists but not written by that person..

I've long wondered how number two could receive those reviews without at least being prompted or some kind of quid pro quo..further, re: number two ,many really negaative reviews seem to disappear in a few weeks..

The food reviews of Shangri-la, comingled with the hotel review, to me, are just bogus...grossly overpriced, poor quality and terrible service..One man's opinion...

thomas

Edited: 28 March 2012, 16:57
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

<<<People who stay at 5 star hotels do NOT do reviews for the most part unless their is an incentive, which is against the rule of TA. Look at 5 star hotels in other places and you will see the same thing, lack of reviews.>>>

-Ok, let's look at other places. If my observation is correct almost ALL of the TOP 15 hotels in Singapore and TOP 10 hotels in Kuala Lumpur are 5-star hotels which were reviewed by at least 10,000 TA members.

People who stay in 5 star hotels love to write reviews as Traders Hotel KL alone has more than 2,000 reviews while Pan Pacific Singapore has 1,900 reviews while Mandarin Oriental Singapore has 1,400 reviews while Langham Place Hong Kong has also 2,000 reviews.

You are always welcome to contact TA if you think that there's a hocus pocus going on. What I can confirm is that Shangri-la is consistent as one of the best resorts in Boracay no matter where you read its reviews be it in TripAdvisor, Asiatravel, Agoda, Booking etc.

Edited: 28 March 2012, 17:17
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

Keg..its an opinion and its also a fact that there are ways to phantom travelers through companies that do exactly that. Even if they get reviews, to get so many in one day seems not to be realistic. And as Thomas said, read the reviews, they all seem to come from the same writer, its easy to see that. Not all of course, but MANY.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

The latest review isnt very complimentary!

Looking at the other recent reviews and as most are done by multiple posters I think that they are ok.

Thats my opinion.

Tommo

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

Several friends of mine have been up there to eat for special occasions and ALL said they were disappointed by the food and thought it was very overpriced, though the surroundings are nice. Yes this is second hand info but coming from people who had no reason to lie and were prepared to pay a high price provided it met their expectations - as per Shangri La's extensive advertising.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Simply Put, I don't believe the Reviews. Shangri-La's

I am one of those people who were disappointed by Shangrila's lunch buffet.

At best, it was OK; but nowhere near the food served by the 2 Shangrila's in Metro Manila.