We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

I can't seem to make up my mind between staying in Shangri-La or Discovery Shores. My boyfriend and I will be staying at another hotel the first few days in boracay with a bunch of friends, and then I would like to stay at another place the last two days. Im reading reviews for both places, and they both seem really great and about the same price. Which do you think would be better of the two? We're looking to just really relax and enjoy the time together.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Which hotel is that? The one you are staying for a few days?

If that hotel is in Station 1 or 2, then you can opt to stay in Shangrila for a more secluded beach experience.

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

I believe we will be staying at the Royal Park Resort Hotel with a bunch of our friends. My boyfriend and I are staying one extra night so of course would like to stay somewhere a little bit more upscale.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Shangri La is very secluded if that is what you are looking for. But in my opinion is overpriced for food and beverage. Discovery is more convenient on White Beach but has a very bare, characterless look and feel. Have you considered any others, such as Fridays?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,123 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Shangrila pretty much means you will end your Boracay experience as its way out. Discovery is better and still on white beach. Not far from Royal Park though.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,505 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

For a romantic ending of your trip then I would recommend Shangri-la.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

The scene outside Discovery is different from your first location - a lot quieter, though not that far away - as long as Discovery don't play the music too loud. Other options include Diniwid Beach hotels such as Microtel and Nami, and Asya Premiere Suites in Angol.

Ottawa,Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Discovery Shores if it were me because of the location.

Of course this is choosing between the two

Have a great trip

Rob

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

I'd suggest DISCOVERY SHORES.. Stayed there for 4 nights last March 14-18, GREAT HOTEL.. Haven't been to Shangrila but one thing I noticed is the long line of guests at D' Mall waiting to be picked up by shuttle which is an inconvenience the way I see it.. Shuttle schedule in Shangrila is every 30 mins.. At Discovery Shores??? Pick up your phone, dial guest services and they'll pick you up wherever you are in abt 5-10 mins..

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

Stay at the Shangri La. It will be a unique experience. Secluded and romantic. There is no need for you to go 'downtown' anymore - as you have experienced that already while you stay at the Royal Park. The food in Shangri La is good - only the beach restaurant is not recommended for food, but drinks only. And the pick up service of Shangri La is quite reliable - even if it means to wait sometimes a couple of minutes.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shangri-La or Discovery Shores?

I have stayed in Shang and visited Discovery. Know people who worked in both. I personally prefer Shangrila because of its exclusivity and isolation.

Shangrila has 1 private beach and 1 public beach ( tho it seems private since nobody but Shang guests) go there.

White beach has the better beach but the crowd drives me crazy. I cannot stand it. My memory of yesteryears is too intact. But if you like crowds and like being in the center of things, then go for Discovery.

The shuttle is not really a problem. It doesnt take forever to wait and is frequent enough. And I always look forward to the isolation of Shangrila after the madness in White Beach.

Overall, it depends on what you want.