We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I take the public tricycle?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I take the public tricycle?

I know I should give business & spread some wealth to island but I want to learn how I can travel around paying like a local from the following locations

Jetty port

From the other port (tambisan?)

From the main road

Thanks so much. I will be in the island in few hours.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

buy your own trike -hire a driver and then pay him

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

there will be trikes all over the place. Just find one and tell them where you want to go and ask how much, and away you goooooo.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

Ask how much?? Nooo! Trike scammers are rife! Rarely will you ever get the correct price if you ask. In Boracay it is a nightmare now. People get charged P75 or more for a P7 fare. I usually use the 'illegal' motorbike taxis now because you pay a flat rate of P20 and no bullsh|t.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 01:06
San Juan...
Level Contributor
233 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

you can check the tariff rate in boracay's newspaper.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

sirenna, what should the average tourist be charged for trips by tricycle, for example from the ferry terminals to each boat station etc? Is there a standard average, or depends on the driver and passengers nationality?

Boracay
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

What you need to figure out is how to not get a chartered ride. A chartered ride is when you don't share the tricycle with other passengers which is always way more expensive. You can get a shared tricycle from the Jetty Port also, just say you want a shared ride. This obviously doesn't work if your destination is off the main road. Then you either walk from the main road to your destination or you just need to take a chartered ride.

How does it work, when you --for example-- want to go to Yapak for the afternoon. Usually you will take a chartered ride for P150 to Yapak and another one for maybe even P200 back. What you want to do is this: go to the main road and stand on the side where traffic goes direction Yapak. Yell "Yapak" at any tricycle approaching you. The driver may decide not to take you so you wait for the next tricycle until one is willing to take you. If one takes you and there are already other passengers in the tricycle you have no problem. If however the tricycle is empty you make sure to tell them "Walang Charter!" or "No Chartered Ride!". The driver may then decide to take you for P25/person or they may decide to decline the ride. If the latter is the case you have to try with the next tricycle.

To get back in Yapak right at the beach tricyles are waiting for you. If you take them it's automatically a chartered ride and it's charged between P150-200. If you want to avoid that, walk past them and walk along the main road back towards the island center. Any tricycle that passes try to hail them down. Again, make sure if one stops that it is not a chartered ride (no problem if there are already passengers on the tricycle). You may have to walk 10 to 15 minutes until you get a tricycle but hey, you're once again only paying P25/person so you definitely saved some money for a few more SMB's, plus after all this walking NOW YOU DESERVE THEM! :-)

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,971 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

At Cagban ferry terminal, the fare that you are required to pay to reach Stations 1, 2 and 3 will be clearly displayed on a signboard at the tricycle terminal. If the fare would remain the same despite of oil price increases left and right then you should pay Php20/person.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 03:36
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

Thanks guys (specially those who tried to help this pennyless couple)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

Pennyless and can afford Tao Exploration? :p

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I take the public tricycle?

For the most part it doesn't matter if you know the correct price. They still very often refuse to take you unless you pay the inflated rate. There are too many tourists willing to pay whatever is asked that they don't care to take people for the normal price. Many times I have flagged down a trike on the road only for the driver to announce 'special trip' (charter) and quote me P75.