We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Nido AND Boracay?

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
El Nido AND Boracay?

Hello !

Travelling to the Philippines for the first time in March 2013 - We are in our 20s, looking for adventure and lots of beach/relaxation mixed in. We will be there for 7 full days (travel to/from are not included in this number - they have already been accounted for) and my question is:

Is 7 full days enough to enjoy both Boracay and El Nido?

I don't know the geography of the Philippines very well or the time to get from one to another.

We really like the laid back beach bum / party atmosphere of Boracay, and the adventure & great landscapes that come with El Nido (along with their great beaches). We are on a tight backpackers budget.

Any opinions & advice are welcomed!

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

you will have to get flight via manila-so another day taken up for travelling between them and then depens on your international flight dept from manila whether you will have to get flight from el nido to manila day before -so with maybe 5 days between both -do u think its worth it

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

I would do it as follows:

Day 1 arrive Philippines: if scheduled to arrive in the early morning, book a lunchtime flight (but not a late afternoon flight, as inability to operate flights after dark at Caticlan mean that if the last departures from manila around 1530 run late, they may be cancelled) from Manila to Caticlan). Allow at least four hours connecting time: you may need to transfer terminals.

If not possible, stay overnight in Manila. Overnight either Boracay or Manila depending on this.

Day 2 either in Boracay or mid morning departure by plane MNL - Caticlan.

One alternative to these on Day 1 and Night 1 is to arrive Manila from YVR early in the morning or even late morning, get a taxi to Pasay City bus terminal, a bus to Batangas and connect with mid early evening (2000 hours) 2gotravel ferry (seehttp://travel.2go.com.ph/ ) from Batangas to Caticlan. This saves on a night's accommodation. reasonably priced suites are available (ensuite) but you generally cannot book much months in advance. In teh dry season, ferries are a great, fun way to travel.

Nights 2 - 3 Boracay

Day 4 Plane Caticlan (or Kalibo, 60 kilometres by road from Caticlan) - Manila - Puerto Princesa then road to El Nido, or flight direct to El Nido although latter is expensive.

Nights 4 - 6 overnight El Nido

Day 7 Flight or van/ bus plus flight: former direct, booking throuigh Art cafe to Manila; latter via Puerto Princesa

Edited: 25 August 2012, 00:45
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

Airlines to look up for schedules include AirphilsExpress/ Philippine Airlines (recommended):, SE Asian Airways (accessible via www.tigerairways.com.au); Cebu Pacific Air or (while it doesn't fly everywhere) Zest Airways.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 00:47
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

7 days for both Boracay and El Nido will be too exhausting. I suggest you only choose 1.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

I would recommend you to choose either one if you have 7 days.

For your case, I would choose Boracay for easy access. You can also visit the nearby islands of Boracay to some side trips.

However, if you have 9 or 10 days, Boracay and El Nido will make sense unless you want an "Amazing Race" type of pace.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

Apparently Cebu Pacific is offering soon a flight from Kalibo to Palawan, not sure the details, but I read it online.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
1,505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

**"Amazing Race" type of pace**

MH is the expert of this. Read his trip reports.Exhausting just to read.

Tommo

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

That does not sound like a vacation to me. To much moving. Every new place require time to start getting pleasure. Some times you just want to get rest on the beach. But you have to go here and there because you want to visit so many places. Not only islands. For example on Palawan you will want to go to waterfall, to farm, ...

I think if you have only 7 days the best choice is to chose one destination and maximize your time to get rest. You will get enought things to explore for whole 7 days in Palawan.

sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

you need more time in el nido to enjoy all the islands. i would just do one also. 10 days you could do both...

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Nido AND Boracay?

Hi,

Yes, 2 nights in Boracay is sufficient. Just pace yourself, enjoy the activities, and don't try to do everything (you never can!)

DO wind surf - it is easiest learnt here right on the beach! I did not try it, but some of my novice friends did and enjoyed themselves.

DO snorkel / dive / helmet dive (the angel fish crowd around you and gently nibble your fingers when you descend! Not many places where they do that. Of course, please do not feed the fish.)

DO visit the discos (there are just 4 of them. Cocomangas is ok - good crowd, lousy interiors. Azul Bar is fantastic - world class disco with world class bar and world class crowds. My first sip of Boracay rum was here (yeah - cliched!). Club paraw is crappy - but an interesting place to see the crowds go all berseck! This was the first time I saw such big groups of Filipinos - mostly office goers - enjoy themselves at a disco. No seedy stuff.. another good thing.

DO just sit on the beach and enjoy watching the waters and the crowds (largest concentration of hot bodies in South East Asia... and my girlfriend agrees with me)