We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

hello.

i am wondering if there are any dangerous sharks in the area, does any one know? any previous attacks reported?

Diniwid
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

Sharks are not common in Boracay island. Unless you venture like 300 nautical miles away, then you probably gonna see one or two. Dolphins can be seen in the Antique and Simirara area and that is very deep ocean.

australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

thank u. i needed to know a local opinion. ill be there in 2 weeks. great help. thanks

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

You will see a lot of sharks in Boracay! They are usually driving pedicabs, or try to collect snorkeling fees, or try to overcharge you for some services, and many other instances. ......

Seriously now, if you dive, you can find small sharks in the Yapak cave area at about 30 meters depth and you ll be able to watch them and play with them. amazing how beautiful.

But definetly no sharks like you have in Australia. The beach is very safe. No attacks ever reported.

Boracay
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

Yes, there are sharks in the coastal waters of Boracay,and not just in the Yapak Cave area. They can be seen "loitering" in the 40 metre deep areas.

Diniwid
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

Big sharks don't have enough food to be making the island it's home. Great Whites and Mako sharks can be found in the deep waters going to Palawan and Mindoro. So swimmers in Boracay never have to worry about dangerous sharks.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

I haven't logged a lot of dives in my book but I saw my first shark in Yapak in Boracay. It scared me as it was my first time, though its the kind of shark that you want to see not swin away from in panic. Yah, I guess its different in Australia... Haven't heard of a shark attack at any island resorts in the Philippines in years.

manila
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

Yup. there are sharks in certain dive sites. usually white tip sharks or even baracudas ;)

its fun for divers and really safe for ordinary beach bums ;)

never heard of a shark attack in bracay ;)

australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

thank you all for the information. now i can swim and do other water sports in boracay without worrying about sharks. cheers....

california
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

The sharks you may find are all delicious as served in the chinese restaurants! The great whites don't like it here as they are likely to be the victims. You should be concerned about the two legged ones handling pedicabs.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wake up!!!! i need help with shark...

Yep, just little sharks and the odd whale shark. Nothing that's likely to chew bits off you. I saw dolphins in the channel recently though.