We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sparklers

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sparklers

Does anyone know if I can buy sparklers in Boracay? We're flying in from Manila and I've been told that I can't bring them on the airplane.

Thank you!

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sparklers

There are places on the island selling fireworks for special events but I've never seen sparklers on offer.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sparklers

I hope not as they have been cut back and selling any fireworks on Boracay I believe is illegal but people still get them and use them. Do not use them at your hotel as its a fire hazard.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sparklers

The fine is at least Php10,000 if you bring sparklers inside a plane whether on your checked luggage or hand carry.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sparklers

Keg, should be much more including some jail time as it puts lives at risk.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sparklers

You'll see fireworks in Boracay almost every single day in Boracay for parties, events and weddings. There are still very much on sale. And around New Year, kids are able to buy Chinese firecrackers, which are dangerous and cause lots of injuries.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sparklers

You're correct.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sparklers

Officially sales of fireworks have been banned on Boracay, unofficially you can buy anything.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sparklers

Thanks everyone. We're not interested in fireworks or going to jail for carrying sparklers on the plane :)

Hopefully someone knows where we can buy sparklers because I have seen pictures of weddings in Boracay with sparklers.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sparklers

Shops in the mall were openly selling them last season, though this may have changed now. Wedding planners may have special permits to import and use them. Never seen sparklers on sale though.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sparklers

After that big fire, not talipapa, but the other one over the holidays, they instituted new rules on the island. Hotels with Nipa Roofs are rightfully paranoid of fireworks and many water their roofs down.