We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo travel - dumb question

India
Level Contributor
367 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
solo travel - dumb question

I am going solo first time ever and would snorkel, hit the beach etc so !!!Where do I leave my cash, cc, camera etc when I am in water? will be staying at station 2

Edited: 21 January 2013, 10:54
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo travel - dumb question

leave in your hotel safe, dont take more cash than you can afford to lose or need. Be careful with leaving things on the beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,088 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo travel - dumb question

isla, normally I would leave it either in the room if it has an electronic bolted safety deposit box or with reception if it does not. If the latter, make sure that the staff member seals the package with tape. Some establishments have the old system of multiple safety deposit boxes at reception; at others, it's merely the receptionist placing the item in a locked drawer.

I have never had any problems using any method but to some extent one is relying on honesty at the hotel which is reality for most hotels. I have yet to come across a dishonest hotel or accommodation option employee, though they must exist judging by the occasional complaints on TA that I assume are not vexatious.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 11:21
3. Re: solo travel - dumb question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 11:32
Edited: 21 January 2013, 11:32
4. Re: solo travel - dumb question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2013, 11:37
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,761 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo travel - dumb question

You can also purchase water proof wallets in which you store your money.

I noticed this a bit when I was island hopping.

Personally I'm with leftover I don't bring more than I need.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo travel - dumb question

For me, I will stay in a hotel near to the beachfront so you can go back easily.

As others have mentioned, put all your valuables in the hotel. Even cameras, put them in the hotel though you may miss some precious moments.

India
Level Contributor
367 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo travel - dumb question

thanks!........i was hoping to take my camera ,cell phone and a lil bit of money with me ,to tide over any sudden hunger pangs...........so in a bit of a fix ,on storing all of this when i head into the water........i guess the aquapack sounds great.......cant miss those memorable moments can we !!

Edited: 21 January 2013, 13:30
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo travel - dumb question

i carry my cell and camera but both are cheap and I will ask others on the nearby loungers to watch them if I am alone. Sometimes I just put it in a towels with other junk on top...none full proof, just be careful. Having the camera is important on vacation.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: solo travel - dumb question

Buy a good quality waterproof pouch or bag for your cash and camera. Best to bring one with you from home as the ones in Boracay are cheap copies. Buy a big, cheap, colourful beach bag that a thief would look very conspicuous running away with. Use this for towel, sarong, book, sunblock, snacks and other non valuable items that you wouldn't miss too much if they were stolen. Station 2 gets very, very crowded so ask other people near you to keep an eye on your things as bag snatching does occur, especially by kids. It also happens when you fall asleep on your lounger.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: solo travel - dumb question

To those who post thier ideas, many thanks for the valuable tips.