We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet in Boracay

Which Boracay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Regensburg, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Internet in Boracay

hey guys,

im a professional online poker player and i was planning to move to the philippines in july and obviously boracay would be my number one choice!!

my question is about the internet. is the internet in boracay fast and steady?? which options do i have to be safe to have good internet connection non stop?

hope for some help,

philipp

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet in Boracay

There are several providers on the island. The telcom companies Globe and Smart also offer internet. The biggest player here is Kalibo Cable. The best is you check it out personally once you're here and can discuss your requirements.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,415 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet in Boracay

This is technically not travel related and probably not within the expertise of a travel forum.

Suggest you follow Davi-Boys advice.

Tommo

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet in Boracay

Internet connection here can be slow & intermittent in all honesty. All my business is done online & on some days it feels like I'm using the old-style dial up system. I have hours or afternoons & sometimes a whole day where I can't upload to my websites because there's insufficient coverage & the mast is right next door!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet in Boracay

@ trudy: what's your internet provider there in Boracay so Philipp could avoid it and look for others.

Boracay, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet in Boracay

Kalibo cable

Boracay Island
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet in Boracay

All of the providers are the same: they cannot cope with demands. I do not have problems with Kalibo Cable - even during Holy Week when ten thousands of people where uploading to fb, twitter, etc. at the same time. And Trudy: why don't you talk to Kalibo Cable to increase your bandwidth and get static IP address? That's what I did and since then no more problem. That comes of course with additional costs

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,199 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet in Boracay

PPCT is not too shabby either. Kalibo cable and PPCT have good customer service as well. I use GLOBE tatoo as well. All is okay for poker or online businesse etc.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet in Boracay

i also used to play online poker professionally in the us before it was banned. how is that going for you? once it got banned in the us, the fish all dried up and it seemed that the only ones left are professionals playing on the sites. so money has been harder to extract from these kind of players. i have given it some thought to try and play again but the sites will not let me make deposits thru my cards.

but anyways, have any of you tried the smart, sun, or globe pocket wifi's?

ive used globe on the island and 3g is intermittent and is not reliable.

so im wondering if smart or sun is any good there? im trying to figure out a way to have fast reliable internet there for my home based business where i am on skype and internet voice calls

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,749 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet in Boracay

I used Smart pocket wi-fi in Boracay and the connection is good during the evening and kinda slow during the day. Sun Cellular pocket wi-fi is useless as I have to reset it every few minutes as the signal is fluctuating no matter if I'm in Stations 1, 2 or 3.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet in Boracay

what kind of speeds are u getting with smart in the evening?