We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Miami Beach, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

headed to boracay for two weeks. having a difficult time finding info on what to pack. really, how casual is this place? coming from miami beach and trying to imagine going to a bar without heels. is that really the case?

do we need to bring sneakers or some sort of shoe for hiking or the like? or can we get away with wearing sandals?

do we need any water shoe type things or is the ocean bed sandy/devoid of sharp objects?

thanks!

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

whenever I go to boracay, I pack shorts: cargo pants, dry fit type for swimming. Shirts are preferably dry fit or cotton. I wear crocs footwear all the way. The girls in my family wears flipflops/slippers like those havianas. Walking on the beach barefoot is ok, the sand is soft. If you want to have something on while walking in the water, you can also wear those shoes for underwater. If you plan to do some hiking, sneakers will do. There are a lot of beach apparel sold in Boracay.

Also, some deodorants/anti perspirant. Its still a tropical humid paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Boracay
Boracay
Panay Island, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Leave heels at home. The more casual the better. Considering that you will probably only have a 10kg luggage allowance for the plane, it encourages you to pack light. You might want some sneakers if you are considering proper hiking, but it would not be uncommon for people to wear no footwear all day if staying around the beach and the beach bars/restaurants.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Pack light clothing i.e. swimwear, rash guard (optional) during the day and cotton or linen shirts, shorts in the evening. Rarely did I bring any pair of pants or shoes. Usually just flip-flops or sandals. The main beach (White beach) has very fine sand and hardly any rocks or pebbles so you would be fine without footwear. It's also common to see people walking along the beach path barefoot. Booties or aquasocks may come in handy though if you go snorkelling or island hopping as some areas have jagged rocks. One important thing you should never leave without is a good sunblock and lotion.

Mentioned in this post
White Beach
White Beach
5,826 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,630 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

wearing sneakers to get there may be okay but its sandals once there. You need very little.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Lightweight reef shoes (which cost about A$55 in Australia, but probably slightly cheaper in Unites States) are a good investment: you can even swim in them.

They are handy if you believe that you will again be by the seashore somewhere on future trips - hopefully at another of Philippines' wonderful white sand islands.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Even for 2 weeks in boracay, look at it this way: your stuff should fit in a duffel bag or a backpack. If you need a stroller bag the sizes that needs to be checked in an airplane, you may have prepared too much stuff.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

Cargo shorts, thongs (slippers/flip flops), shirt and swimmers.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,488 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

A picture is worth a thousand words. There are tons and tons of pictures, videos and blogs of Boracay's White Beach bars and restaurants in Facebook, Youtube etc., you may want to see the photos and videos of others to give an idea what they wore.

Mentioned in this post
White Beach
White Beach
5,826 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,630 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

pack your stuff, then divide take out half and leave at home.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for Boracay...What to Bring

@left...funny but I've actually done that myself haha :)