We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

Here is a review that leaves me confused.

theage.com.au/travel/best-island-in-the-worl…

I would like to hear others opinions.

I may not be the biggest fan of Boracay, but the review explains little and does not really tell me anything other than don't spend two nights in Boracay at different hotels.

Seriously, take this review with a grain of lovely Boracay sand and go and visit for yourself. But, don't stay at two different hotels and relax and enjoy the island.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

No one is wrong.

Everybody have their own needs and requirements when choosing a holiday destination.

Even if 1.5 million people choose Boracay as the best island, they do not represent you.

To me, whatever poll shows xxx is best island, I just take it as a large pinch of salt.

Everyone has their own favorite island in Philippines.

For sure Boracay is not my favorite but that is me.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

....I wouldn't even afford her the pleasure as my first date!

Papalo

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

I agree that the review didnt really have much to say, but I too am one of those people that doesnt really care for Boracay either. I was lucky enough to visit in 1991 and I went back again last year so my wife could visit for the first time.

My biggest complaint with Boracay, is that it is not good at what it claims to be known for. It is not a good party island and has very mediocre bars and no good clubs at all, I am too old and tired for the club scene anymore, but Boracay disappoints in this department. The other thing is considering there are many restaurants, the food didnt live up to any expections .

These are merely my opinions and i appreciate many people love Boracay, I am just not one of them

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

...if one chooses, one can always find things to criticize even in "paradise". boracay is not for everyone, then and now..but my wife and i loved it. no, it has no boardwalk and im sorry her "grouper" was not to her liking and that the linen warning and the beggar turned her off--but one thing i noticed, she did not visit Puka Beach or any of the other twelve white sand beaches in the island and dismissed getting a massage, one of boracay's offerings..oh, well...

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

To each his own. My uncle and auntie loves boracay. But another uncle and auntie, (the two uncles are brothers), hate boracay. Some will love it, some won't.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

Yes, each to his or her own. Obviously expectation vs reality in this case was very, very mismatched and underlines the importance of highlighting both positive and negative points to a place so people's expectations don't get too high and unrealistic.

The Discovery Shores, voted 4th best hotel in the world did not give the service I would expect - they promised a welcoming foot massage and the masseur never turned up! I would have been extremely annoyed at that kind of service for the price paid. The author is completely on the money about environmental damage to the island, it is now beyond repair. She went in off season, can you imagine the article she would have written if the algae would have been there? She comments on the flooding after rain, it's true. Every time it rains in Boracay the back road floods and the majority of side roads flood so you are often wading through calf deep water sometimes with sewerage mixed in. The environmental damage to this island is irreparable.

I think the point the author is trying to make is that if a place is touted as the best island in the world and is the premier beach resort of the Philippines, expectations are high. With these kind of 'awards' given to Boracay, people expect very high standards, especially when paying those prices for accommodation and food. Unfortunately, a lot of these people (and yes I know plenty who have said they don't like Boracay or the Philippines) do expect high standards and at least expect value for money.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but unfortunately, with bad opinions/experiences about the Philippines a lot of people seem to be happier sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting 'lalala' rather than building on and improving people's experiences through constructive criticism. In my opinion, that article could have been a lot worse than it was. You really don't want to hear my best friends opinions of the Philippines after their travelling to 50+ other countries!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

"You really don't want to hear my best friends opinions of the Philippines after their travelling to 50+ other countries!"

Must be pretty bad ones huh?

:(

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

Oh yes, mousehunt. My friends opinions of the Philippines are very, very bad...it's weird because we have travelled with them and we are very similar in what we like/don't like and what we look for in a place. It just goes to prove that everyone is different and has different experiences. No-one should be criticised for their opinions and experiences, each to his/her own!

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

We all know that Boracay has gone to the dogs since the late 90's. That ship has sailed. Some people still want to see it tho. And some people do enjoy it. My experience is that people tick it off their list but I can only remember two people of the thousands I asked who said they loved it and would be back. These are young ones who loved the party there. The rest no.

As for traveling the Philippines, it depends what kind of traveler you are. If you want it easy and smooth, then the Philippines is not for you. If you want adventure traveling, rustic and so on, then great. No matter how beautiful a destination is, you will always find someone who wouldnt like it. But I agree constructive criticism is always good. Nothing to lose there.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can TripAdvisor Be Wrong?

I always tell my friends about travelling in Philippines.

The traveller needs two attributes; guts and patience.

Some people are intimidated by the mode of transport in Philippines. Jeepney, trike, top loading, slow boat etc.

Philippines is unlike the rest of South East Asia. It is really unique. So it is either you love it or hate it. So everyone's needs is different.

Again one man's food is another man's poison.

BKK is well like by so many people but my friend just hate it.

???