We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boracay and typhoon yolanda

1 post
Save Topic
Boracay and typhoon yolanda

We were suppose to go to boracay later this evening via kalibo nov 7-11. Bur there is a super typhoon yolanda. Is it still safe to go to boracay? I heard that they are canceling the boat transfers. We are just worried about our safety and we do not want to get stranded

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

The big difference between the 2006 storm (December 10th) and this storm for me is that storm was at night and freaked people out more. Many did not prepare in advance for that storm, more prepared for this storm. I stayed in the same location for both storms and winds seemed the same, but this storm has done more damage seemingly.

Gurnee, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Thank you Olso, I am sorry to hear your husband is not with you, but happy you are safe. I hope he can relay this message back to you. Again, many thanks and I will keep following your posts for any news you might post. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of the Philippines.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
152 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

There is a report on CBS that the Tacloban airport has sustained substantial damage before they lost communications.

Gurnee, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Oslo, I just now received a phone call from my girlfriend. She and her family are safe and doing well. There is a generator at La Carmela which goes on and off, but there is not too much damage. There are some windows out, but water never came into the ground floor, even though they did move all the guests to the top floor during the storm. It is still very windy there and high waves. Thank you again Oslo, for the news and again, I hope you did have too much damage to your home or property, and that your husband can come home soon.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Sun is shining thru. Do not walk barefooted please even in the water as sharp debris exists.

Seemingly more damage on the Bulabog side of the island per the wind direction.

Some phones seem to be working, but not all and those working I think can not get incoming calls.

Globe communications does not work, but SMART is up and running.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Pretty much, at least in the station 3 area White Beach was spared. Sun is out now and people are sitting on chairs and people swimming. Power will be out for up to a week, but maybe less IF you have bookings on the bulabog side, check your hotel as they got whacked really badly.

PLEASE do not come to Boracay and get upset if no power, or Internet etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Hi, we are scheduled to go to Boracay on Tuesday. Can anyone who is over there tell me if all is ok on the island?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

bin, please read the many posts on this and your question will be answered. Even read the post above yours.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

DMC4040, if you have not heard from you family by later today. Send me a pm, with name and I will try to get info for you. Do they have SMART SIM cell phones.

Steinfurt
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Boracay and typhoon yolanda

Damn I guess or Hotel is at the Bulabog side -> Lingganay Beach Resort. Do you know if the hotels been hit hard?

Can reach them via telephon.

Hope y´all doin well.

Greets