We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If not Boracay then where?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
If not Boracay then where?

Hi guys.

I'm devastated about the Typhoon and sincerely hope that everyone is ok. Like I've posted elsewhere, I am due to fly to Manila on Tuesday and then on to Boracay for a 6 day holiday. I've never been to Philippines and am/was so looking forward to it!

Obviously I don't want to travel to a region that has been destroyed and place further burden on infrastructure, especially if there is no power/water etc. I know potentially boats may not be running etc..

I was looking for a relaxing 'beach' holiday with cocktails, massages and some fun activities. Where else in the Philippines would you recommend if I still decide to make use of my flights from Australia to Manila but don't want to go/can't go to Boracay. At this stage I was flying from Manila-Kalibo, then bus down to Caticlan.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,733 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If not Boracay then where?

Best to reassess after the typhoon has passed to see which areas are and are not damaged seriously by the typhoon.

I pray that everyone will be ok.

Tommo

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If not Boracay then where?

You could look at somewhere like Panglao Isalnd. We were there for New Years after spending Christmas in Boracay. Quite a bit simpler than Boracay, but my wife still enjoyed many beachside cocktails!

It should have escaped the brunt of the typhoon, and I do fear for Boracay and the damage that it will receive from this typhoon.

I can't really recommend anywhere else from experience, but have a look at Panglao, it's still quite easy to get to from Manila/Cebu.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,554 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If not Boracay then where?

I should think Panglao is even easier to get to than Boracay as there is no boat required.

However, Panglao/Bohol has/will be hit by the typhoon too.

Bohol is right next to Leyte and the information I have is that Leyte was hit by waves up to 4.5 metres. A wave that size will go straight over the top of our apartment on Leyte which is only about 2 metres above sea level. I am still trying to make contact with family to see if everyone is ok.

So, best if you wait until the typhoon passes

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,554 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If not Boracay then where?

I have just seen a photo of flooding in Tacloban Leyte on the ABS CBN website

This is the caption below the photo

Floodwater strewn with debris covers the entire road in Tacloban City as a storm surge brought by typhoon Yolanda hits the province on Friday. Yolanda was packing maximum sustained winds of 235 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gusts of up to 275 kph.

The news says that the Typhoon has been battering Leyte, Samar, Cebu, Bohol and has made land fall on Panay, the big island next to Boracay.

It is supposed to go through Palawan as well.

This means that we can't suggest anything. No Camiguin island, No Malapascua island. No Camotes island. No Panglao Island. No Bantayan Island. No Siquijor island. No Boracay island, No Biliran island and no options for Palawan such as Coron.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If not Boracay then where?

I would wait another couple of days until you can get the exact situation but you're right to be checking out alternative options.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If not Boracay then where?

How about the beach resorts in Samal in the province of Davao. There are even flights to Davao today as the province is not affected by the typhoon.

Batanes is also not affected and for me it is the most photogenic province in the country as evident by hundreds of blogs about Batanes written by photographers and travellers.

7. Re: If not Boracay then where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:16